Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-12-2020, 06:41 AM   #1
Swolfer

Unevenly cut tiles - two different caulk colors on backsplash?

My husband and I added a backsplash in our kitchen (first timers) and didn't cut some of the tile edges that go against the bottom of the cabinet and sides against the wall straight (please see attached photos). We used a dark grout and the same color for the bottom edge (where tile meets the counter).

I was wondering if it might make the unevenly-cut tiles less noticeable if we used a white caulk at the tops and sides rather than the dark caulk. Or maybe even putting a small piece of trim in those areas. Thoughts or other ideas?

Any help here is greatly appreciated!
Attached Images

Unread 10-12-2020, 08:30 AM   #2
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Welcome Sheila. I think caulking it with another color would be a mistake and would certainly call more attention to the area.

Were it me, I might get my very good painter to cut a crisp straight line a bit onto the grout to help hide the differing widths. This technique often used where wall meets ceiling with different color.

If you don't have a deft touch with a brush, which would describe me, I might recommend you leave as-is and chalk up to experience. Dark grout always highlights discrepancies.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2020, 12:42 PM   #3
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

Go buy some 1/2"x6" liners for the cabinet sides, the uppers I wouldn't worry about.
Unread 10-12-2020, 01:52 PM   #4
heknowsbetter

Uppers are definitely not worth the effort as no one will ever see it. I'd look for a nice trim to match the cabinets for the sides to cover the imperfections.
Unread 10-12-2020, 02:36 PM   #5
redlude97

I would caulk it with whatever you are going to cauk the bottom edge with. Split the difference in the gap for the width of the caulk so some of the grout in the wider gap might show but will match the layout
Unread 10-12-2020, 10:55 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Sheila.

I consider myself to be an extremely neat caulker. But I wouldn’t personally choose to caulk that, as I think the bead would be overly large and feel “heavy” to me.

That appliance garage has a face frame that’s proud of the carcass by 3/16”-1/4”. You could finish the side off with a “finished end panel” (piece of 1/4” ply fit neatly between the back of the face frame and the wall) and it would perfectly cover the tile grout gaps with nobody any the wiser. But that usually means getting a panel from the manufacturer and they aren’t shy about charging $$$ for “finished end panels” like this. However, that doesn’t address the right side. You could put a 1.5” wide vertical face frame piece over on that side (as though the face frame from the cabinet above extended down to the countertop), along with another 1/4” finished end panel. That might make it look a little boxy, though. So, perhaps you could simply tile the next 12” of that right wall....

So, onto another idea: scribe molding (usually something like 3/16” x 3/4” in size with a round over shape to one end) is readily available from cabinet manufacturers that can be obtained in exactly the same finish as your cabinets. You may want to consider a simple strip for either side as the thickness should just barely cover those gaps. If ordering takes too long or too much $$$, I’d visit a lumber supplier to obtain some similar dainty-sized molding and paint it myself to match the cabinetry.

...a couple of ideas.

And I’d tend to not mess with the horizontal gap under the cabinets, as you simply never see it.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2020, 06:38 AM   #7
CaliGrown

Tonto’s got you figured for your top joint, although you should be fine without it as that joint will only be seen upon intentional viewing. If you don’t want to put a wood scribe for your sides, use ceramic pencil liners/cigars and it’ll hide your boo boo. Picture is just an example of one type of many tile trim that’d work.
Attached Images

- The Brutally Honest Tile Mechanics -
Joseph Peres (7/16/95 - 8/31/19)
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2020, 11:24 AM   #8
Swolfer

Thank you to everyone who gave me some great ideas on how to deal with the uneven tiles on our first backsplash project and the learning curve that came with it. You truly are lifesavers. Much appreciated!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase