Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-17-2020, 02:18 PM   #16
Wolverines

Thanks CX. I didn't take enough pictures so I can understand some of your questions/advice. The drain was originally in the far inside corner. I went as close to center as I could on the short side. It's not possible to center it in the middle of the entire shower. So I will have it slope properly based on that location.

The plywood is 1" thick. There is 2x6 blocking in between all of those studs. You don't see it in the second picture because I brought the liner up higher than that. I tucked the liner inside the far corner and the 2 outside corners it's attached to pieces that are slightly set back to help the CBU hang flat.

The CBU will go just outside the shower glass on one side and right at the glass on the other. I plan to redguard the walls and tie that into the curb to waterproof down into the pan.

I found the deck mud post you mentioned (https://www.johnbridge.com/how-to/deck-mud/) so I will follow that. I would expect to have an inch or a little more at the drain and then make sure I slope at least 1/4" per foot, keeping the outer portion level all around. Once I get the materials for the mud I'll be ready!
Unread 09-17-2020, 03:21 PM   #17
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

Quote:
The CBU will go just outside the shower glass on one side and right at the glass on the other. I plan to redguard the walls and tie that into the curb to waterproof down into the pan.
This gives me pause. To do this well requires that CBU overlap liner at least to outside of curb. If one could tie the RedGard directly to the liner you could achieve seamless waterproofing, but there's no way to effectively do that.

Quote:
I found the deck mud post you mentioned (https://www.johnbridge.com/how-to/deck-mud/) so I will follow that. I would expect to have an inch or a little more at the drain and then make sure I slope at least 1/4" per foot, keeping the outer portion level all around. Once I get the materials for the mud I'll be ready!
Methinks you may have missed CX's question about preslope. It should be sloped under the liner to have the system you're employing work properly. The top mud bed will be a constant thickness following the preslope.

Gravity needs to guide the water that penetrates the top mud bed to the weep holes in drain drain. Otherwise, you're designing in stagnant pool...not a good thing.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #18
Wolverines

Thanks. I took the advice and added in dam corners. Easy enough to do and no reason not to. There is a preslope under the liner. Hard to tell in pictures. I hope to finally get to the finished mud bed at some point this week!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase