Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-06-2020, 10:16 PM   #1
TK547

Porcelain Tile Edges / Corners

Hey - I'm about to start tiling my basement shower with 12x24 porcelain tile. I'll end up with 2 exposed edges, a wrap around corner between the shower and tub area, and 2 niches.

I am having some trouble figuring out the best way to treat the edges. For my last project I used travertine which I left raw and eased the edge a bit with sandpaper. I think this turned out great. The porcelain is through-body but the clay only matches the base color. What's the recommended way to handle these?

1. Schluter tile edge - I want to avoid this if I can because I really don't like the look.

2. Leave factory edge showing and hide thinnest with grout colored caulk - maybe I can live with this.

3. Polish the edges to a bullnose - not sure how to do this or how it will turn out.

4. Find a matching jolly - Maybe only slightly more attractive than the Schluter edging.

5. Miter the corners and miter the edges and stick in matching returns - It might take some time to cut returns small enough without cracking the tile. This is done with wood trim all the time but I've never seen it on tile.

The wrap around corner will be particularly challenging as it will transition between tile to the ceiling and tile only 3.5' high. The niches will have a solid surface sill so the edges on the sides and top will need a solution.

Thanks for the advice.

Previous project

Name:  IMG_1025.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  83.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1026.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  68.3 KB

New project

Name:  IMG_1028.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  47.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1027.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  93.3 KB
Unread 09-07-2020, 06:02 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Tom,

I would try to fine a bullnose for the corners --- or use the Schluter trim. You won't have much luck trying to polish the edges.

I have also found oil base enamel paint and painted the exposed edges.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2020, 08:48 AM   #3
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I've had clients say no to profiles only to change their minds when shown something like this.

On this job I used bullnose on the wainscot and Quadec on outside corners of shower

Anecdotal addition:

I had a designer explaining some work to me. When I queried her on the intended edge detail, she said "can't you just smear some grout on it"? To which I replied, "Ah, the mark of a bad craftsman".

I didn't get the job...
Attached Images

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger

Last edited by Carbidetooth; 09-07-2020 at 09:02 AM.
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2020, 01:42 PM   #4
TK547

Peter,

I will concede that your edge does look very nice. I didn't realize that Shlulter made textured edging. I just don't want the bathroom to look like it belongs in a 70's department store. I'll have to see one of these in person to see if it will work.

John,

Paint might be a good option to dress up any edges where the factory glazing was missed. I might still want to miter the corners on the dividing wall.

I am waiting to cut the niches until I start tiling as I plan to land both of them on a grout line. They will both be 12 inches tall and will have a single tile to the edge on each side so I will be able to have factory edges on those as well.
Unread 09-07-2020, 03:33 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Tom, Schluter makes about a brazilion different profiles and finishes. I think you'd be looking for their Quadec to make an edge like Peter is showing. Perhaps Peter will tell use what finish that edge is.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2020, 07:15 PM   #6
Gozo

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...1&d=1510098680
Schluter makes trim profiles in many texture and color combinations that will likely complement or match your tiles. Either get some samples or go to a well stocked shop to get an idea of what will work for you. Pictures can be deceiving.
Unread 09-07-2020, 08:11 PM   #7
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

This was actually a really interesting job. Client did tons of legwork and found this and many other interesting things. Was very particular, but also easy going. I begged local Dal for my own samples but they only had the one sample chain. It was pretty new at the time. This was four years ago.

I just talked to her recently she told me everything is looking great. "I love it every day" were her words. Warms the heart of this contractor...
I built another for a different client using mostly the same material after she saw this one.

Photo above was TSBG color and was a really good match for tile. If I were doing again, I'd have a sample chain with me when tile shopping. I don't think I'd have paired these up had I not seen them together.

https://resources.schluter.com/media...lSheet-USA.pdf

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger

Last edited by Carbidetooth; 09-08-2020 at 12:01 AM.
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase