Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #1
SandraDoesIt

Re: Granite vs Quartzite

Hello,

I came across this thread looking for advice on deciding between Quartzite or Granite. Both have their own unique colors and strengths, but pricing is also a factor to consider as well. I'm still searching for a source that will break down colors and prices per sq. ft. so I can see which is a better investment for my kitchen. Wondering if there's any other concerns regarding their maintenance/care.

- Sandra
Unread 04-12-2019, 11:00 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Sandra.

I've separated your post from the other member's similar thread to prevent confusion on both.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #3
SandraDoesIt

Hello,

I'm pretty new to forums and I was referred here. I came across this thread looking for advice on deciding between Quartzite or Granite. Both have their own unique colors and strengths, but pricing is also a factor to consider as well. I'm still searching for a source that will break down colors and prices per sq. ft. so I can see which is a better investment for my kitchen. Wondering if there's any other concerns regarding their maintenance/care ?
Unread 04-12-2019, 02:27 PM   #4
speed51133

in my research I found that quartzite has much more "movement" and variation in the slabs. It also has a much wider array of colors.

Quartzite is harder and resists stains more than granite. It does cost more than granite.Lots of times what gives the quartzite its beauty is the inclusions and impurities. These areas can be much weaker.

It really depends on the individual slab. Don't truest what any slab vendor tell you either, they have no idea what the makeup of the slab is.

Just get what you like the best for what you can afford.
Unread 04-12-2019, 02:42 PM   #5
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I assume you're talking about quartz.

It may seem confusing, but Quartzite is a natural stone. Quartz, or engineered stone, which are one-in-the-same is a man-made pseudo stone.

FWIW, quartz is the majority of what I install on C-tops and shower curbs now. It's expensive but I'm a big fan. If it's a long term proposition, it's worth the $$. If moving on soon, maybe not.

After re-reading original post, I think I'm way off base in my reply. I'll leave it to prove I read faster than I comprehend...

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2019, 06:45 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Granite, by definition, is a combination of at least three minerals:
- feldspar
- mica
- quartz

The proportions and specific type of those minerals (there are numerous ones) and the combination of other minerals to the basic form can cause it to vary from plain, dense, almost monochromatic grey, to multi-colored in may hues. The size of the quartz in the granite can vary from fine crystals to huge ones.

So, it's hard to say exactly. A manufactured stone product will use something like epoxy to hold together some natural stone. That can vary in sizes, colors, and ultimate designs. Those engineered products will tend to be much more consistent.

Natural stone will generally have much more variation, even in what is called the same stone.

Buying from a store, you may not get a choice to choose your slab. Buying from a fabricator, you generally can. A fabricator sometimes will offer a cheaper price than going through a store since you won't be paying the retailer's markup.

An engineered stone slab is more likely to be damaged by a hot pot or cigarette than a natural stone, but may be less likely to be stained. Some granite is so dense, that almost nothing will stain it.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2019, 08:54 PM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I work with several designers and install tile back splashes for them. They seem to be leaning towards the lighter colors, especially white. On a few jobs I've seen them tear out granite and go back with quartz just to get the white shades.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #8
JohnnyPronto

Sandra, check this out. this article should answer your question about the granite cost factors and options. I saw they had other articles too so you might find one about quartzite as well.
Unread 04-16-2019, 06:58 AM   #9
SandraDoesIt

Thank you Johnny, that had the pricing information I was looking for.
Unread 04-16-2019, 08:02 AM   #10
Pirate

In terms of durability, care and maintenance, they are so close, I don't think you can use that as a basis for deciding. We're not comparing them to laminate or tile, which would be very different. You talk about what would be the better "investment", but that should refer to how it affects the value of your house if selling in the future, not what would have a lower cost per square foot. I think most real estate agents still will say that granite gives the most value. Granite is what I would go with, but that is just me.

I would look at the surfaces in person and decide what looks the best to you, and use that as the most determining factor. You're the one who has to look at it every day, for years to come, so what would make you happy? Going with something mainly because it is a few dollars cheaper, will become insignificant as the years go by, and you may have wished you'd spent those extra dollars, because it would have made you happier in the long run.
Unread 04-16-2019, 08:41 AM   #11
speed51133

Also, in my real estate experience, cheap stone and expensive stone both give you the same return on your investment (minimal).

For that reason, get what you like unless this is an investment property. In that case, get what's cheap.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase