Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
tileguy32

Jamb Saw Advice/recommendation

I am looking to purchase a jamb saw to undercut baseboard for tiling floors. I've done my research and narrowed it down to two saws; the Crain 812 and the Crain 825. I have never used a jamb saw before so my question is which is easier to use - the 812 which is like a router or the 825 which is like a hand grinder? Any feedback would be helpful. Thank you!
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Kevin.

Type "jamb saw" into the Advanced Search feature and ask for Titles. You'll find some discussion of those saws out there while you're waiting.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:22 PM   #3
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I've used both,i own the 825.It's a little more dangerous than the bigger one but works fine.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
Hammy

Send a message via AIM to Hammy
I have the 825. I bought it for 1 job and have used a couple of times since. For cutting off door casings I use a multi-purpose tool. If I were cutting whole baseboards I'd Use one of the jam saws you're looking at.

Hammy

Professionally Built Mold - Mildew - Moisture Resistant Showers
Using Laticrete & Schluter Products

Click here to Visit us on Face Book
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #5
Shpedly

I'm with hammy, if its for door casings, I'd stick with a multi tool. So much easier and precise. Jamb saw for that stuff is extreme overkill.
Unread 10-25-2011, 08:27 PM   #6
Toddman
Independent Tile Contractor

Yea, for just door casings definitely a multi-tool.

Good work is not cheap, and cheap work is not good.

http://www.toddthetileguy.com
Toddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
dbol

Why would you want to under cut baseboard? Just remove and replace it. Or take your time and cut to it and caulk the perimeter.
Unread 10-25-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
CarpenterLearningTile

For close to the same price Fein 250 is a heavy duty multi use tool with a wide range of uses from trimming casings to polishing rocks , hub caps , or silver.
Easy to cut as little as a 1/16 off a jamb or polish a detailed fork.
Unread 10-26-2011, 06:26 AM   #9
TonE

I used to do lots of New construction.Large kitchen,foyer thru to the laundry/mud rooms.used to call em granders as they all measured around 1000 s'f//..All Mud work lots of doors.I bought two of the crain 812 saws.We had multiple crews at the time.It's not a bad saw for the bulk of the work involved.I would use the carbide blade for the first cut.To rough out the jamb material so there would not be too much of it to dig out after the mud was installed.The finish cut I would use the steel blades.They cut smoother,leave a better finish product.That said it still takes some getting used to to make a nice cut.You cannot get all the way into the corners with it as the blade is round.So additional trimming would have to be done with a hand saw.I always liked the fine tooth undercut saws for that best.
The steel blades of the crain saw can be resharpened so when you catch that sheetrock nail head at the bottom of the sheet behind the casing your blade is not totally ruined.They are also inexpensive so I would by several so you have some at hand while some are at the shop getting tuned up..
That was long ago,.I haven't used em in quite some time now..
I use the fine tool for the bulk of the work I do these days.The cuts are nicer.
The bad part of the fien is the blades are very expensine..They don't like it when you hit nails either..You can try to work as careful as you can but there are times they put steel in the way you just cannot do anything about it.
Like when they ship a pre hung door they brace the bottom by putting a piece of wood across the bottom of it.They install it with staples.They don't always get removed for one reason or another.If you take your time with the cut you will feel the blade hit the steel...Time to stop and cut it with a hand saw or incur the 17-25 dollar cost of a blade ruined..
The fien also makes fast work of those intricate cabinet trim moldings used all the time these days.Ideal for tileing a backsplash.The look is neater an cleaner and there will be no grout cracking or caulking to worry about..
A good fine tooth angled hand saw takes care of the simple floor installations..One sweedish company makes one with a orange handle is my favorite.I forget the name.The steel blade last a long time ant the nut that hold the blade does not come undone when in use..
One of my workers gave the tool the moniker "the urge to kill"...If you have ever been all the way down there trying to make a neat cut,that blade jambs up an the blood if pulsing to your head..You'll find the name is appropriate..And it is still used to this day..
Unread 10-26-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
ccrow
Clifton

Just my $.02, I haven't used either Jam saw and i've only used the Fein once or twice, but I've been using the Bocsh FineCut for many many years now and I'm extremely happy with it.
http://http://www.boschtools.com/Pro....aspx?catid=22
ccrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase