Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 02-21-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
Kman

Cultured marble shower

Anybody have any experience with this, or knowledge of it? I've seen it more often the past year, and I've noticed that a couple of the companies have really lowered their prices. Used to be their prices were so high that I didn't have to worry about competing with them. Last year, they were only $500 higher than me on a 5X5 shower, so the homeowner decided to go with them since they promised a one-day installation.

What I'm wondering about is the range of colors they have, how they seal the joints and how long the joints will hold together, if there could be any leakage issues, etc.

Basically, if a potential customer brings this up as an option, I want to have some knowledge so I'll know what I'm competing with.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-21-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

they are to Hotelish for me, and I think they look so early 90's.
I dont know about the colors but the ones I have seen over the years look blah and a bad attempt at looking like marble.

Tampa Florida Tile Installation
^^Check out our Blog^^
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
JC

They use pre-fab pans thats how I beat them out before, what good are they if the pans not the right size.
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 07:30 AM   #4
bathroomremodeler

I rip out a lot of cultured marble showers down here. They actually seem to hold up pretty good. The cultured marble pans are thick and heavy and seem to last. The weak area is the wall to the shower pan connection.

I've had a few people ask about putting them in. Mainly because of no grout lines, which is a strong interest with them.

They do come in a large variety of colors.

However, I tell my folks ...

1. We are ripping out cultured marble, not putting them in. Main reason is they are outdated and old fashion. I would hate them to spend the money on a new shower, only to finish and it to look outdated. Tell them to look at a 100 bath magazines and see how many cultured marble showers you see.

2. Cultured Marble will stain long term.

3. Hard to put a "wow" factor in a cultured marble shower. Like accent pieces, designs or patterns.

Other than that, not much bad you can say about them.
Inspector and IAQ Inspector
www.deanlovvorn.com
bathroomremodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Cultured marble can be made in any color they choose to use.

The the panels are installed and held together with silicone caulking, so caulking is all that is between you and failure.

I have never installed a cultured marble shower, but I have torn out dozens of them that have leaked severely.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
custombuilt
Tile and remodeling contractor

I think my room at the Hilton down at CTEF had a cultured surround... it was either that or a thin sawn granite. Looked like a greenish granite and wasn't all that bad, except where they didn't scribe the ceiling and it had 1/2 inch of caulking.

Superior Construction
Custom Interior and Exterior remodeling experts
Quincy, IL
custombuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 07:56 PM   #7
MNTileGuy
Central Texas Tile Guy

I agree that they look totally hotel-ish. That said, lots of the production builders are still putting them in showers around here.

JB's right though, silicone's all that's keeping the water out of the corners and seams. I beleive they usually just have green board behind those things too.
MNTileGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

The idea of browsing through any glossy magazine is a fair idea of what is currently turning heads and thus what will get you top dollar in your market place. We do a few slab showers but they are done just as a tile shower
( water tight from the drain to the lid)making them expensive compared to cultured marble. We have not done Cultured marble for all the reasons others have stated.

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2010, 09:35 PM   #9
RedRock
Granite, Quartz, and Tile Installer

I learned how to install them just to get the job. Some money is better than none. Most people that I have talked to complain about cleanliness in tile showers and, hence, want a more "durable" surfaced shower. Unfortunately, some of the old tile showers that I've replaced with a solid surface variety have been pretty trashed. The framing beneath the tile is rotten, mold is rampant, and the tile is crusty from hard water. Here is where your salesmanship needs to come into play.

Point out that you do not install tile with the "old" methods. Waterproof membranes add to the durability and longevity of your showers. If they are concerned about cleaning grout. Up sell an epoxy grout job or high quality sealers or super tight grout joints. Sometimes I've even sweetened the deal by throwing in a $5 squeegee - at no extra charge.

Also explain to them the pluses and minuses of each product. Cultured marble may "look" clean, but it scratches easy and can't be repaired. Acrylic solid surfaces also scratch but can be repaired for an extra fee. Tile is ... well, you can sell it from here.

Unread 02-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
JC

I think you can repair them. I would rather tear them out though
JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Juan good perspectives..I agree

http://bergersontile.blogspot.com/
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2010, 02:05 PM   #12
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Cultured marble can be repaired. It can also be polished back to it's original gloss for ~$150-$200 (around these parts), but I've never seen anyone spend the money to do it....it just stays scratched and dull for years. There are a couple glossy, speckled granite colors along with a matte, bright white panel that looks okay. But most colors look dated and 'blah' to me. Dean worded it nicely when he said it's hard to get a "wow" factor going. They are pretty expensive for their pre-fab kits and even more so with anything custom-sized.

With the sole line of defense against moisture getting into the walls being a silicone bead, it's a good time to talk about the benefits of a waterproof membrane like Juan says.

Quote:
Originally Posted by custombuilt
I think my room at the Hilton down at CTEF had a cultured surround... it was either that or a thin sawn granite. Looked like a greenish granite and wasn't all that bad, except where they didn't scribe the ceiling and it had 1/2 inch of caulking.
Jason, that was 1 cm granite. And they sure could use a lesson in slowing down to scribe it tight to the tub and ceiling, couldn't they?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 02:08 AM   #13
Hammy

Send a message via AIM to Hammy
The shop that does my vanity tops also makes showers. One day i was at the shop and he was trying to sell me on the idea. When they do an install, the pan goes in, then the wall panels just sit on top of the pan base and is caulked in place. here is no lip of any kind to retain water if the caulk fails. needless to say i wasnt sold on the idea. And besides they were more than a tiled shower from scratch. And yes these were glued to drywall with no moisture barrier. Hammy

Professionally Built Mold - Mildew - Moisture Resistant Showers
Using Laticrete & Schluter Products

Click here to Visit us on Face Book
Hammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2010, 07:39 AM   #14
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
You can't use a typical felt or poly moisture barrier, or you wouldn't be able to glue the panels to the sheetrock.

They do Corian showers the same way, and they cost even more than cultured marble.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase