Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-12-2009, 11:29 AM   #1
JDog

Cultured Marble Shower install ?

remodeling a old shower/bath, want to use durock, with durock tile membrane as substrate, installing 3/8" cultured marble sheet, not my choice, I would have tiled, anyhow, calls for 100% silicone? will this bond to the waterproofing membrane? will there be show through? why not liquid nails tub/surround adhesive? I know substrate sound like overkill, but my opinion is theres never enough waterproofing!
Unread 11-12-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
bbcamp

Probably will, considering the membrane was meant to stick tile to with thinset.

I agree with you. Way too much waterproofing!
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2009, 12:29 PM   #3
JDog

of I was also considering durock, smooth side with 6 mil visquene on studs, can redguard/blue seal be applied to durock, just wondering, was thinking of using usg mold board above 5' on walls.
Unread 11-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
scrandall
Scott Crandall

All the methods mentioned should work. Durock followed by Durock tile membrane will work well and 100% silicone will bond to Durock tile membrane. Although as Bob above mentioned, you got a lot of waterproofing going on here. As much as we would for you to buy Durock tile membrane, you may not need it in this application. Smooth side our or rough side out for Durock, it doesn't matter. I would go with Fiberock above 5 feet--it's good for wet areas and can be painted like Mold Tough.

Good luck with the project. Let me know if you have questions related to our products.

Regards,

www.usg.com
scrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
JDog

thanks scott, i'm a usg man, guess its from the million sheets of drywall I hung.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase