Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-03-2005, 12:57 AM   #1
mbridges

Deflection

Hi everyone im new to this site, i'd like to say hello to everyone!

Heres my dilemma. I have a customer who wants tile in their kitchen. There currently is vinyl on luan on vinyl on subfloor. Subfloor is 3/4 tongue and groove on a 45degree. Joists are 2x8 16" O.C. Spruce Construction grade. They span 12feet. There is x-bracing in the middle of the span. Customer wants ceramic tile. I used the deflecto meter and I got a 302/L I need a 360/L I think. So all this being said is there anything I can do that is going to be cost effective? thanks

Mike Bridges
mbridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-03-2005, 05:58 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Mike, Welcome aboard.

Hang tight while the construction hands and engineering team zero in on you.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2005, 07:11 AM   #3
bbcamp

Mike, is there access under the floor? In a crawl space, the best way to beef up the joints is to add a support beam somewhere near mid span. If finished space, a support beam could be incorporated into a closet along one wall. The closet would be as wide as the tiled area, and deep enough to reduce the span to 10 feet. Sistering the joists with 2x6s will also bring the joists up to spec.

The luan and both layers of vinyl have to go. Then you have to install 1/2" CC or better exterior rated plywood, followed by the underlayment of your choice. If the increased height is a concern, then you remove the planks and install 3/4" T&G plywood, and an underlayment.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2005, 01:48 AM   #4
mbridges

Yes there is access in the basement below. I know the customer wants a bathroom eventully exactly below where the kitchen is upstair this may be a perfect time to rough frame it and strengthen the floor upstairs! Thats my excuse and im sticking with it haha. I had never thought about creating a closet to reduce the beam span, very clever. Well thanks very much guys it's great to get such speedy response on here

Sincerely

Mike
mbridges is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase