Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-19-2022, 07:31 PM   #1
jkk9

Tiling around shower window of glass blocks

Looking for some design ideas on what to do around glass block window (pix #1) in shower. Using 5/16" 12x24 tile (pix #2). Tile against drywall is ~1/16" shy of glass face (pix #3).

After thinset + membrane, then thinset tile, I expect to be ~1/4" proud of the glass face. I could use Schluter Jolly (pix #4) although that will leave a 'shelf' for water to collect. Would also have to apply caulk very carefully between glass and Jolly to prevent water collecting.

Any other ideas how to best trim this window?
Attached Images

Last edited by jkk9; 05-19-2022 at 07:34 PM. Reason: edited pictures
jkk9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-20-2022, 05:50 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

What's on the walls now? And what membrane do you plan to use?

For the same concerns you have, I have always waterproofed and tiled my walls and inside the window first, leaving the exact space for the blocks to fit in the opening.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2022, 04:22 PM   #3
jkk9

Drywall. Kerdi membrane w/unmodified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy
... leaving the exact space for the blocks to fit in the opening"
What do you mean by this?
Unread 05-21-2022, 05:00 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Glass blocks can't be cut so when tiling inside the opening, I would have to leave the exact size needed for full blocks to fit.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 05-21-2022, 05:15 PM   #5
jkk9

Unfortunately, there's no "inside" the window. The glass blocks extend 1/4" beyond the face of the drywall.
Unread 05-21-2022, 05:36 PM   #6
jkk9

Also, I noticed there's excess mortar build up at the top of the window. That has caused me problems in the past in terms of getting tiles to lay flat onto the wall. I could use a grinder to remove that old mortar but I'm afraid of damaging or breaking a glass block. Any other solutions?
Attached Images

Unread 05-22-2022, 08:59 AM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, I understand exactly what you're saying. I was trying to explain how I install mine to not have the problem you're having. I know it's too late for this info to help you but others may come along that don't have the glass blocks installed yet. My waterproofing covers the walls and wraps inside the window under the tiles.

If this window is low enough in the shower and catches a lot of water, it's possible for water to soak into the mortar joints between the glass blocks and make it's way under the blocks and behind the Kerdi. It won't happen over night but could eventually happen if the window is fairly low.

At this point, all I can see you doing is to get a waterproof seal where the Kerdi meets the glass blocks. Maybe you can cut away a little mortar back under the blocks and tuck the Kerdi under there and hopefully get a good seal using silicone.

Yes, you want the walls to be as flat as possible. Maybe try course sandpaper on a block of wood. Really depends what kind of mortar you're talking about.

www.davystephenstile.com
Unread 05-22-2022, 09:58 AM   #8
jkk9

I’ve removed some of the mortar using a diamond tip blade on an oscillating saw. It is slow but that helps minimize chance of damaging glass blocks.
The window bottom is at 5’ so water exposure is minimal.

The blocks were already place and moving/replacing them would be a real pain.
I’ll just be very careful to seal the joint between the block and the Jolly.
Unread 06-11-2022, 07:11 PM   #9
jkk9

Trying to use a Schluter Shelf-N shelf in a niche. I've already tiled the back wall of the niche so the shelf is a bit too deep - it's in the way of the Schluter strip I'm using around the niche. I need to grind the front 2 corners of the shelf to avoid the Schluter Jolly.

So wondering if anyone has tried to grind/trim a Schluter stainless steel shelf? I've never had to grind stainless steel that needed to look nice after I ground it.
Unread 06-12-2022, 07:50 AM   #10
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Might work, Jim, the shelf should be solid SS, opposed to an applied finish.

Just be careful of over heating it, would probably cause bluing/discoloration.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2022, 07:05 PM   #11
jkk9

Since the mortar was not dry and I wasn't sure I could trim the stainless steel nicely, I ripped out tile and scraped the substrate. I figured it wasn't worth trying to save $40 of tile or risking damage to the $80 shelf. Lesson learned.

The wife bought replacement tile - a mosaic of glass, metal and ceramic.

What mortar should I use to attach this stuff?
Unread 06-15-2022, 06:27 AM   #12
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Some manufacturers make a specific glass tile mortar but since your mosaic has a mix of materials I'd probably just use a modified like Versabond or Flexbond.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2022, 06:41 AM   #13
jkk9

I called the mfr (MSI), their contracted service said they don’t recommend a mortar and I should ask installer to pick. I commented that only the mfr knows what mesh and glue was used on the mosaic - she was clueless.
Unread 06-20-2022, 12:04 PM   #14
jkk9

This opening is supposed to allow natural light to pass from the shower area to the toilet area. I plan to install a piece of 3/8" glass via side clips. It would also act as a splash shield.

1) I could tile the entire 4.5" width of the opening, or just ~1" around the glass panel. This would be quickest but I'm wondering if I'm missing potential problem.

2) Since we're using 12x24 white tiles, the area around this 'opening' will be a big, white 'blob'. Any ideas on how to 'liven up' this spot? Border tiles?
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase