Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-26-2022, 06:16 PM   #1
Ebaran

Flat Walls

Hey All,

First time poster, and I’m sure you’ve had this thread a few times now…

Over a 4 foot level I have 3/16” of a difference in center of wall. Is that enough of a difference to rip down all the 1/2” Kerdi and redo? I am going to be doing subway tile on the walls.

What’s the ramifications if I do try to install the tile over this? Am I going to get a to of lippage on the tile?

I did wet shim here behind the Kerdi board (I suppose not well enough). If I did have to remove the Kerdi, what’s the best method for removing the thinset off the studs? Assuming it’s going to be a pain in the ass?…

Thanks a lot all. Much appreciated.
Unread 01-26-2022, 08:29 PM   #2
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

Have you banded the seams and screws? If no, I would not consider anything but taking the board down, correcting the studs and putting the board right back up.

You will need to shim with wood or drywall shims, not thin set mortar. Not sure why you put mortar onto wood studs It should just scrape off. You will thank yourself for flattening your wall when you start tiling.
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2022, 08:45 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Snets, unfortunately, that "wet shimming" over wood studs is approved/recommended by the manufacturer of the Kerdi Board.

Welcome, Eric.

I agree with Snets' recommendation for your repair. That or sistering with straight studs. I personally think the wet shimming over wood studs is a terrible idea.

You could, of course, flatten over the Kerdi Board with a cementitious patching material, but I think you'd have much better luck fixing it at the framing level.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2022, 08:59 PM   #4
Snets

Interesting, I had not seen that approval/recommendation from Schluter for wood studs....And I also agree, it's a terrible idea. How on earth would someone check for flatness with a bunch of thin set mortar on their studs, before screwing the board to the studs? Not to mention accounting for how much is going to squish out when driving the screws home.
Unread 01-26-2022, 09:33 PM   #5
Ebaran

Yes well that was the hard part with the “wet shimming”. Once the board is tacked on, you can push against with a straight edge to get your boards even. Unfortunately it’s much easier said in theory. Much harder in practice.

Anyways… No, the seams are not complete, just screwed in. Will I be able to reuse the board after peeling off? I had to peel off a piece previously and the back layer peeled off a bit due to adhesion with thinset. It also bent a bit while taking off, but I suppose I could be more careful this time around and avoid creasing it.

Will the thinset come off the studs easily enough? I was assuming it would be a pain in the A, and I’d be buying new Kerdi boards, which are impossible to find these days.
Unread 01-26-2022, 09:46 PM   #6
Snets

Erik, the waterproofing is on the outward-facing part of the board - should not require new board - likely more difficult to remove mortar from the board than the studs.

My apologies about my comments regarding the "wet shimming" I had not heard of that, and I do a lot of research - not as much as others here!

However, I just watched the Schluter video about how to wet-shim and it does make sense IF you follow their directions to apply stiff mortar, flatten the wall and let dry before screwing the board in.

For me, I dunno, seems easier to shim with cardboard drywall shims, then install the board. Either way, you are not in a bad spot and should be able to flatten that wall before tiling with little loss other than time.
Unread 01-26-2022, 09:52 PM   #7
TheEdge91

Built With Foam makes wall flattening shim kits to use before your put up your walls.

https://www.facebook.com/BuiltWithFoam/
Unread 01-26-2022, 10:03 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

If it's a bow out, a power plane might make quick work of it.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2022, 07:41 PM   #9
Ebaran

Back Side of Schluter Bench

Hey All, searched all over and haven’t seen this particular issue yet, so here goes..

Struggling finding a solution to finish back side of my Schluter shower bench. Was a bit of an afterthought, as you can see. Was thinking of using Kerdi fix to adhere a piece of 1/2” Kerdi board to the backside. Then finishing off with tile. Any problems with that? Will the Kerdi fix be able to hold the weight of ~4.7 sqft of tile?

Thanks a lot.
Attached Images

Unread 04-21-2022, 09:04 PM   #10
cx
Moderator emeritus

Erik, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

I see no problem with a piece of KerdiBoard attached to that KerdiBoard framework with Kerdi Fix. Should support that small area of tile with no difficulty, especially if it also sits on the floor.

I'm more concerned with how you intend to enclose the shower we see in the photo.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2022, 11:10 PM   #11
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Kerdifix can have a bond strength in excess of 1000psi, so it would work. To save some money, you could just use thinset to bond a piece of KerdiBoard to the Kerdiboard components.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2022, 08:15 AM   #12
Ebaran

Thanks all. Great to have the affirmative from the experts

We will have glass on the two sides enclosing the shower. Covering over the curb and also on top of shower bench. I’ve got wood backing at both walls (shower wall and bench wall). Any issues there?
Unread 05-06-2022, 10:48 AM   #13
Ebaran

Hey All. Need some guidance, once again... Ive researched extensively online and suprised i havent found this issue pop up yet...

The kerdi seal that I have fits perfectly INSIDE of the green trim ring of my Hansgrohe Ibox. Unfortunately, that green trim ring is supposed to be trimmed 1/8" proud of tile surface. The seal will not fit around outside of trim ring, where I believe it should go.

If installed on the inside of the green trim, the seal does have a 1/8" protrusion, however it will not finish proud of the tile.

Any suggestions? Should i contact Hansgrohe? Or can i seal around outside of green trim ring with Kerdifix, and forget the kerdi seal alltogher?
Attached Images

Unread 05-06-2022, 11:02 AM   #14
Catmandu

Hansgrohe actually provides their own seal that comes with the ibox. I've found that plumbers don't know what it is so they just throw it away.

You can either put Kerdifx around like you said, or cut your own seal out of a piece of kerdi fabric if you have some. Cut a round or square patch, 2" bigger all around than the ibox. Cut out the middle circle, slightly smaller than the actual ibox, then stretch it over the ibox as you embed it into the thinset on the wall. It will turn up slightly and overlap the box. You can adhere the edge to the ibox with Kerdifix.
Unread 05-07-2022, 02:20 AM   #15
Topspin
SchluterUgrad

Per Cate: exactly! Thats what I do.

“Cut out the middle circle, slightly smaller than the actual ibox, then stretch it over the ibox as you embed it into the thinset on the wall. It will turn up slightly and overlap the box. You can adhere the edge to the ibox with Kerdifix.“

Topspin is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase