Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-18-2022, 05:03 PM   #1
Stark

Short Kerdi Overlap On Curb

Hello,

I was about to do a flood test on this shower when I realized there was a potential issue on the curb. I just wasn't thinking when I ran the band between the floor and the curb as it only runs up the curb 1 5/8" to 1 3/4". I trimmed the curb down and I just put the band up on auto pilot. The curb in question (left side of the picture) is on the side opposite the linear drain . On the other where the drain is (right side of the picture) it is well over 2" up the curb and not an issue.

Name:  Shower.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  133.3 KB

I was considering adding another layer of kerdiband from the top of the curb wrapped on the face of the curb down to the floor pan. I know from the other threads that the fleece of kerdiband needs to be bonded with the thinset to the kerdiboard/pan. My concern is that although wiped down after the band install, there is still some thinset residue that might inhibit optimal bonding.

Maybe I am overthinking it. I know the wicking will happen through the thinset so will this make it worse than what I have now with potential wicking to the top of my seam. Should I just kerdi-fix the top corner of the curb before putting the threshold on, something else. Or leave it as is. If I have water up to that level, it is coming over the curb anyway. Corners and pan are well over the minimum overlap.

Name:  Kerdi Curb.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  46.8 KB
Unread 01-19-2022, 08:38 AM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Probably not an issue. If you have it, a smear of KerdiFix on the edge might give you a better feeling, but I wouldn't sweat it.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2022, 09:07 AM   #3
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Welcome back, Todd,

Given what you have there I don't see the challenge being potential water depth in the pan reaching the top of the curb, it's managing the water that comes off the top of the curb and runs down the inside face, which there will be quite a lot of on the shower head end of the shower.

While the overlap you currently have might be sufficient you definitely don't want to risk it turning out to be insufficient. Either of your approaches will work, IMO, but adding another band will be the safest approach, even if it doesn't create as water tight a bond as clean Kerdi to clean Kerdi would. If you opt for the Kerdi Fix, fix, I'd take the time to smoosh it in thoroughly with a finger.

Are the tops of those curbs sloped towards the drain?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2022, 11:51 AM   #4
Stark

Thanks for the responses. I was looking it it last night again and I think I will put down the 10" kerdiband which will take me from clean curb to clean fabric on the pan. As it is the linear drain on the other side, I can manage the buildup from the band without interfering with the tile installation on the floor.

Curb on the left of the picture has a slight pitch inwards. The one at the end away from the shower heads is pretty level. I will need to pitch the tiles correctly on that side when installing.
Unread 01-20-2022, 09:05 AM   #5
ss3964spd

You likely already know, Todd, that pitching the decorative wear layer isn't optimal. But for others reading along, you really want the water proof layer to be pitched towards the drain. Otherwise, any water that gets past the tile and grout will just sit on top of the water proofing and, if enough collects, will be free to determine its own direction.

May not be serious issue for that short section at the end of the shower, doesn't appear it's going to see much water.
Unread 01-20-2022, 11:34 AM   #6
Stark

Yes I was thinking about that again last night Dan. Not the ideal situation for sure but you are right it will see minimal water at that end.

The curb will be tied into the ditra outside the shower with kerdiband so the entire bathroom will be waterproof but it still isn't great if water is going that way to begin with.

I was thinking about a different solution for that short curb to slope it correct prior to the cap going on. As height isn't a concern, I was thinking if I took a few strips of kerdi, 3.5", 2.5", 1.5" from the backside, I could build it up and then wrap the entire top with a piece to cover it up. It would certainly give a slight slope to help any water that got under the tile find its way back.
Unread 01-20-2022, 01:25 PM   #7
ss3964spd

You might also consider using some straight boards placed against the outside face of the curbs, with their tops maybe 1/8" - 3/16" above the outside top edge of the curbs. Mix up a batch of thinset mortar and fill to the top of the boards and the top inside curb edge, creating a slope. Let that cure then cover with a wide Kerdi band. At only 1/8" to 3/16" the mortar shouldn't shrink much, if at all.

Or perhaps - since you mentioned that the long curb is sloped, using a solid surface material to cap the entire curb instead of tile, eliminating the grout joints. You could then simply tilt that piece for the section of short curb that's well away from the water. You'd need to cut each end of the material at a 45 for that outside corner.

Just some options to weigh.
Unread 01-20-2022, 02:11 PM   #8
Stark

That's a good idea too.

The plan always was to use a solid top to the curb, using a caesarstone counter for the vanity so it was going to be the same quartz material for the curb and bench in the shower. The only joint will be the 45 at the corner of the curbs. With the lack of joints and silicone where the curb cap meets the shower, water penetration should be minimal on the curb to start with.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase