Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-13-2022, 10:06 AM   #46
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Schluter specifies a minimum of a 2"X2" tile over Ditra. Those tiny squares and triangles in that mosaic are significantly less than the minimum, even the rectangles don't look to be the minimum. The grout joints in that mosaic are very narrow, numerous, and run in many different directions. If the mortar is too thick it will squish up into the joints and be a giant pain to clean.

I might be over-thinking it, but I'd want to do all I could to make sure those tiny tiles are well supported while using the minimum amount of mortar under them.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2022, 10:13 AM   #47
jeffnc

You raise a good point ss. What I do and I assume most people do is trowel on the thinset, then knock it down using the flat side of the trowel so it's flat and even. That minimizes the ooze. I've cheated with the tile size over Ditra a couple times, when a mosaic or trim portion is small tile but most of the floor is not. I don't think it's a problem in terms of support because once it's grouted, it will stay in place, and after all, if a 1/2" tile is surrounded by larger tile, then it's not really possible to step on the small tile without stepping on the larger tiles around it. With unmodified thinset, I find it's less sticky and doesn't hold as well as the top modified thinsets, and so I get better results with a good thinset like Schluter All Set.
Unread 02-13-2022, 10:33 AM   #48
ss3964spd

It's possible.
Attached Images

Unread 02-13-2022, 05:48 PM   #49
jeffnc

Fair enough
Unread 02-14-2022, 07:08 PM   #50
SilverBullet07

I have a dewalt 24000 wet tile saw and made a few practice cuts. I have used the saw blade on a couple baths and as I cut this glossy tile the cut is causing what looks like chips in the top coat of the tile.

The blade is a dewalt diamond extended xp4763. I dressed the blade with a diamond dressing stone. The blade seem to be cutting right through not much drag. The cut is nice on the side, just chipping the top coat. I do have another new blade just like it should I try it or do you suggest another type of blade to cut through nicer? Would putting masking tape on before the cut help?

You have to get up close to see it but you can feel it.
Attached Images

Unread 02-14-2022, 07:15 PM   #51
jeffnc

That is similar to what I might expect if you are cutting the tile upside down or your blade is spinning backward (i.e. running through the tile saw from the back end, which occasionally is necessary.)
Unread 02-16-2022, 08:59 PM   #52
SilverBullet07

I put a new blade on that I had. Same type dewalt xp4763 and it is some better. It is almost not noticeable after rubbing it down with a polishing stone.

I decided to order a zipper blade to see if that does better. Should be here tomorrow.
Unread 02-23-2022, 11:56 PM   #53
diydanny

That looks beautiful.

Have you thought about adding the same thickness inside border pieces to both short ends of your rectangle marble inlay?
Unread 03-11-2022, 07:51 AM   #54
SilverBullet07

Finally got the tile job finished. Time to add trim back now.
Attached Images

Unread 03-11-2022, 10:08 AM   #55
ss3964spd

Looks great, Harold, all that prep and planning really paid off!
Unread 03-12-2022, 12:47 AM   #56
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

Pro-quality work, brother. Doubt you could have paid anyone to do it any better. Faster? Yes, but no better. Well done!
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase