Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-06-2021, 10:42 AM   #16
BIGPHIL

That's what I'd do. I think it flows better that way. Draw some lines on the wall with the pattern layout to make sure you like it before committing.

Last edited by BIGPHIL; 10-06-2021 at 11:36 AM.
BIGPHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2021, 03:38 PM   #17
Casman

Thanks Phil I will definitely lay out some lines. I’m going slow as I don’t want it to look like I did it myself. It’s hard to find quality work these days. My buddy is trying to get me back to work, I’ve been on hiatus for 7 years. He said I coulda hired and paid somebody to do it and been done weeks ago, and made some $ too. I told him to google: Can I use mastic in a shower?
He referred the first tile guy. I know I’m better than that guy. He brought in the bags of versabond as I was leaving for work, and he was carrying it back out when I returned. He used Mastic. That was 25 years ago. Here’s a pic of the shower side wall, rotated pic. Thanks for all the help and advice so far. Best Cris
Attached Images

Unread 10-21-2021, 05:18 AM   #18
Casman

Wink

Attachment 221845Ok so I’ve been going at a snails pace. I’m ready to get back at it and have a question.

1) I’m using a schulter edge trim piece where the wall meets the drywall, a flat transition if you will. Can I install the schulter edge trim first? I’ve seen the pros install it after but I don’t get how that works unless there’s no thinset on the edge as it can’t slide in through it. Unless of course it’s not dry yet which means the entire wall was just tiled.

2). Is there a typical length that the shower tile should extend outside the shower onto the drywall? It’s a flat plane and I have lots of room.
Attached Images

Last edited by Casman; 10-21-2021 at 06:50 AM.
Casman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2021, 07:53 AM   #19
pls

I have had good luck just using tape to hold the trim in place and remove tape as I tile. I know this does not get any mortar under the trim but I have had zero issues with the trim, it is firmly in place.
Unread 10-21-2021, 09:20 AM   #20
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
#2; Usually about 3", Cris, enough to protect the curb-to-wall inside corners. Any more than that is a design choice.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2021, 11:25 AM   #21
Casman

Thanks gentlemen!!
Unread 10-27-2021, 04:56 PM   #22
Casman

Evening Folks:
I will soon be installing the sill threshold thingee on the curb. My question involves the tile that gets installed on the face of the curb, both inner and outer.

Q: Do I cut the tile on the face flush with the top of the curb? I am gapping at the floor, but figured the sill with the thinset will sit above the curb. Hope this makes sense.

Q: I’m using Ardex 77 and it seems at times like my mix may be to stiff as when installing some tiles I notice it doesn’t want to compress flush with the adjacent tiles, ie I can push it in but it “comes back”, prompting me to pound it with the mallet.

Other batches seem to have more “play”. Hope this makes sense as well. I’m definitely off my playground but I’m almost finished.
Unread 10-27-2021, 06:53 PM   #23
cx
Moderator emeritus

1. If you make your finished thinset mortar thickness at least 1/8th of an inch, you can cut your curb face tiles flush with the top of your unfinished curb.

You will want the inside tile top to be lower than the outside tile top, of course.

2. I've not used that thinset mortar and perhaps don't understand the question. If you use the same mortar mix for all your tiles, seems they should all set about the same way.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2021, 08:16 PM   #24
Casman

Thanks CX. I am not mixing large quantities but I mixed up a few different batches and I think I figured out the issue. If I push my scoop into the thinset bag I think I’m compressing it in the scoop resulting in an uneven ratio, making the thinset too thick. I’ve got one more 1/2 wall to go. Thank you for the help!!
Attached Images

Unread 10-30-2021, 05:24 PM   #25
Casman

Welp, ran out of wall tile. Ordered more. Meanwhile, when tiling the outer curb face do I match the grout lines off the floor? Or can I just use larger pieces? Or is this a matter of preference?

Thanks for this site and all the help!!
Attached Images

Unread 10-30-2021, 05:36 PM   #26
cx
Moderator emeritus

Ask Mrs. Cris. Unless you're Mrs. Cris, in which case it's "a matter of preference."

Unread 10-30-2021, 07:00 PM   #27
Casman

I’m not asking her opinion at this point. I had some fugly trim pieces I was going to return, but she said “No I like those you should use them on the shower bench. So I did, then called her in to show off my craftsmanship….She says “Oh, I thought you were going to use the other ones”? I replied: You picked them out…She says “Oh it’s fine”…I offered to remove them before they set…No just leave them….They looked like cr*p but she said she liked them…

The next day I just couldn’t take it anymore, I tore them off with a 3 way bar. In to the garbage went 5 pieces @$15 each.
Unread 10-30-2021, 07:50 PM   #28
cx
Moderator emeritus

Well, then, I most certainly don't wanna get inna middle of that one.

Unread 11-08-2021, 06:54 PM   #29
Casman

Welp, I’m nearing the finish line. I have a question regarding the curb top. The total length is 56 inches. The Tile Shop (actual name) sold my girls 2 pieces for the sill top 4.5 x 36. So option is cut one to make up the difference. There would be a grout line in between. I called to ask if they had longer pieces so I could avoid the grout line. They’d said something like the ones the girls bought match the tile. Does this sound right? Also, if I end up using the 2 3 footers, or get a longer piece, can I use 1/16 inch gaps at the curb walls, and or seam gap?

Also, 3 weeks ago they’d sold me epoxy grout saying it was the best. Last week when I went to pick up the tile, the guy asked if I needed grout. I’d replied no I have epoxy grout. The guy replied epoxy grout? You don’t need that, can’t see why you’d buy that. I replied, well I think you’re the one that sold it to me.
Anyways, I picked up more grout (non epoxy) and he’d said it’s easier to work with. I’m all for easier to work with but I’m not sure at this point. I was thinking I’d use the epoxy grout in the shower, the non epoxy on the floor? Lastly, it seems all the playing with thinset removed my fingerprint so I can’t use it to open my phone. How long until it reappears?
Attached Images

Last edited by Casman; 11-08-2021 at 07:06 PM.
Casman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2021, 08:08 PM   #30
cx
Moderator emeritus

I've never been to a Tile Shop, Cris, but judging from many, many comments on this forum, it appears they're trying to develop a reputation similar to that of Homer's.

It's rare that anyone ever needs an epoxy grout. There are some out there that are fairly easy to use, but yours is an application where I'd definitely recommend use of an epoxy grout. You'll hear other opinions.

I'd recommend you type marble shower into our Advanced Search feature and read about some of the problems people have with use of light colored marble in showers. Some of those problems are gonna be exacerbated by the use of an epoxy grout, especially on the shower floor. With some marbles and some epoxies, you can have some problems without even being in a wet area.

If you elect to use the epoxy grout, I'd very strongly urge you to make up a test board with some of your tiles or scraps thereof and be sure just what the finished product will look like.

I'd recommend a cementitious grout at least for the shower floor.

As for the curb top, it might help if we knew just what you plan for an enclosure. You will have a curtain? Glass door(s)? Glass panel with no door?

If you'll be able to see the entire curb and the enclosure doesn't suggest an obvious place for your grout joint (if you can't find a full length piece), I'd probably either cut two pieces with a center joint, or put one of your piece full length in the center and cut the other for equal pieces on each end of it.

You may be able to get by with a 1/16th" joint at the ends of the curb if you cut carefully, but certainly don't try for less than that.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase