Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-31-2022, 02:48 PM   #211
arnav

First ply layer for the tub's platform. I notched it and added nail plates so that I don't screw the second ply layer to the copper pipes...
Attached Images

Unread 01-31-2022, 02:59 PM   #212
arnav

Second tub's platform ply layer. I "invested" in a free standing tub drain to avoid having to bring a purple primer anywhere near a tiled surface. I assumed the drain would be installed on top of the tiled surface much like you would a toilet flange but the instructions specifically called for installing it directly on the flooring material.

I am planning to sand the right hand side of the platform a few inches (perhaps with a belt sander?) to pitch the liner towards the drain

And with that, the carpentry phase is (hopefully) finally over...
Attached Images

Last edited by arnav; 01-31-2022 at 05:22 PM.
arnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2022, 03:09 PM   #213
arnav

Here is how I am planning to create a "threshold" (since we agreed it is not a curb).

1. Lay a 2x4 on top of the shower floor
2. Lay 2 layers of ply on top of the 2x4 and the vertical 2x6 to bring the threshold to the level of the tub's platform

Not shown: use composite shims every few inches to pitch the 2 ply layers so that the liner is pitched towards the drain.

Is that a good curb / threshold?

Thx for the help
Attached Images

Unread 02-05-2022, 01:47 PM   #214
arnav

Hi,

1. I only found a folded/pre-cut shower pan liner in HD. Are those Ok? Hopefully laying it flat for a few days will take the wrinkles out. Are you allowed to use construction adhesive underneath it to help flatten it?

Floor and decor sells pan liner by the feet but I am not familiar with the brand ("compotite?)"

2. I was having really hard time finding 1" thick poly iso insulation sheets like I used to. Most home centers around here seems to only carry 3/4" sheets these days. I eventually found 1" thick ones at steel yard but it came with foil on both sides of the sheet.

Should I take the foil off the interior side or might as well just keep it on both sides?

Thanks for the help
Unread 02-06-2022, 07:29 AM   #215
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
My HD has the liner on a roll, sold by the foot. Have never seen the pre-cut and folded liners but I imagine if they fit your space they'd probably work just fine. No idea about the FD material.

Regular fiberglass batt insulation is installed with the paper facing, a vapor retarder, facing the inside so I'd be inclined to remove the foil facing the outside. But I'm not sure if it would matter, I don't think those foam panels, even without any facing, pass much moisture/vapor.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2022, 04:08 PM   #216
arnav

Thx Dan,

When i asked the question, I was not concerned about having 2 moisture barriers.
Down here the sheets are ripped length wise and installed between the furring strips so moisture (and arguably heat) can still escape / enter. The houses here are not sealed by design.

I discussed this method of construction with CX on another project here: https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...&postcount=129
He wasn't concerned with a double moisture barrier effect and if CX is not concerned I am definitely not...

I was asking from a pure insulation perspective. Previously, poly iso sheets that I have used in this manner only had foil on the outside face. The sheets that I finally hunted down got foil on both sides which therefore kind of threw me off.
I am assuming that obviously there is no harm in leaving the foil on both sides and if anything it will do a better job than the previous sheets that i used with foil only to outside... I am assuming the foil on the outside face helps keep heat out in the summer and the foil on the interior side helps retain heat in the winter. Where we are in south Florida the AC works 365 days a year and heat is never put on, but I am assuming there is no harm in having the foil on both sides...
If you think otherwise, it is most certainly possible to peel the foil...

I am almost done insulating so will post pics when done

Thanks for the help
Unread 02-08-2022, 04:44 PM   #217
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
He wasn't concerned with a double moisture barrier effect and if CX is not concerned I am definitely not...
You wanna be careful with that, Dan, and pay heed to CX's oft posted warranty information, eh?

I've not seen nor used that double sided foil wrapped foam insulation. I can see some argument for it my more mixed climate, a little less in yours. I'm sure there is much discussion in the building science circles about its use, but I don't pay much attention to such discussions now that I no longer build things.

I do not see any real downside in your application, though.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2022, 04:55 PM   #218
arnav

haha, thx CX. I missed you for a few days there!
Once you post it is (almost) written in stone and I shall forever use/cherish it.
The shower from that project is holding strong with 5 showers a day (at least) and with the kids it is long ones as well. Good thing the light is on a timer to remind them it is time to come out.

I reached out to the mfr. as well just in case. Finding those 1" thick sheets was (almost) better than finding gold. Very hard to come by, I guess like a lot of things these days.

Now we just need Kerdi boards to be back in stock...
Unread 02-08-2022, 06:52 PM   #219
cx
Moderator emeritus

Had a little distraction for a few days, Dan. And while I appreciate your confidence, I'm still a guy not known to you who you found on the Intrawebs, eh? I assure you that I'll do my best not to steer you wrong, though. The same can be said for most of the other regular contributors we have here, and all the moderator staff.

Unread 02-08-2022, 07:30 PM   #220
arnav

Someone with 94,621 posts got to know their stuff!
I mean, even if only 10% of it is right, that is still 9,400 really really good advice!

Thank you for everything you are all doing. We couldn't have done it without you.

This is the 4th and last bathroom to renovate in this house. I am going to have to find some other bathroom to do so I can hang out with you guys...
Unread 02-08-2022, 08:01 PM   #221
cx
Moderator emeritus

Someone with 94 thousand posts might just be big blabbermouth, too, Dan.

Many, many more prospective DIYers could benefit greatly from your experience, Dan. And frequently they are more comfortable with peer advice, rather than "professional" proclamations. The site would by happy to have you hang around and help as much as you want.

Unread 02-09-2022, 06:33 PM   #222
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The precut liners are sold in several different sizes. Some big box stores don't have the rolls of liner anymore. My local stores have never had it in 6 ft wide rolls. The only thing I don't like about them is the plastic bands they have around them are so tight that they leave wrinkles in the liner when you open it up. I have had to leave the liner opened up in the sun for a few hours to get the wrinkles to relax. Sometimes the wrinkles don't want to flatten out. I usually try to go to Daltile where they cut it off the roll.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2022, 08:08 PM   #223
arnav

Yeah, exactly. I needed the 6' wide one as well. I am making good progress on my liner. Just like good wine it gets better with time. By the time I get to use it with my glacial DIY pace I am hoping it will be almost flat. I am thinking some glue on the floor will help keep it taut.

By me the situation is as follows:
- Loews have rolls of liners but just 5' wide. They are all out of stock at the moment.
- HD doesn't seem to carry the rolls anymore at all. The empty rolls are still at the end of the aisles, but it is not listed on the website anymore.
- Floor and decor has 6' wide rolls but I am not familiar with the brand: https://www.flooranddecor.com/shower...html?rrec=true

All carry the pre-cut ones as well including 6' ones e.g.: https://www.homedepot.com/p/OATEY-6-...1645/308374264

Its a shame they fold them like that. Its not like rolling them would have taken more room on the shelves. Its also weird they don't carry the rolls anymore. They presumably made more money on them since they cost more per linear foot.
Attached Images

Unread 02-09-2022, 08:18 PM   #224
arnav

Just FYI for anyone that ends up on this thread and wonder about the double-foiled poly iso insulation sheets.

I spoke with the mfr (Atlas).
- They said all of their residential sheets are double foiled.
- That it is a byproduct of the manufacturing process.
- He said that it results in a more stable product.
- That people like it better when the sheets have foil on both sides.
- He said not to peal it off and use it just like you would a single faced sheet.

Its pretty impressive that a 1" thick product has a 6.7 R value (plus you are not itchy for days afterwards). I previously used whole lot of the GAF poly iso sheets but since the beginning of COVID they halted residential production.
Unread 02-21-2022, 12:29 PM   #225
arnav

Hi,

When building an old-school pan liner curb from stacked 2x4s over a ply sub-floor,
do you bother to shave/sand/cut an angle into one of the 2x4s so that they are pitched towards the drain?

I was about to try and put a 2x4 through the table saw to put an angle in it (say 1/8"), but it dawned on me that no one else probably bothers to do it...

Not critical/mandatory in reality and just a nice to have if you can pull it off right?

Thx!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase