Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-11-2021, 11:10 AM   #166
arnav

So while you semi-remember what I am doing does this plan make sense and up to code?
I think it is? I do need to update the diagram to show the liner below the CBU on the left as oppose to above.

Originally Davy thought I can do something like this (and he was kind enough to draw a diagram for me): https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...1&postcount=68
However, I realized i don't have enough height for it. Do you see an issue in not having a mud curb like in Davy's drawing and placing the glass directly on the slope?
Please see the attached. The finished threshold will be 1.5" above the drain.

Many thx!
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Curbless v6.drawio.pdf (54.3 KB, 59 views)
Unread 12-13-2021, 10:49 AM   #167
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I don't know how you're going to be able to fasten that little "lip" of liner on the left to the top of the CBU. And since the liner is kind of thick (compared to a sheet membrane, it will create a bump, and of course thinset mortar isn't going to stick to it. You might consider doing this with a single slope mud bed and using a sheet membrane for the water proofing, along with a compatible drain assembly.

Setting the glass on the slope might be a challenge for either the clips or the channel the glass will be in. The glass will be perfectly plumb but the clips/channel will be tilted.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-13-2021, 03:31 PM   #168
arnav

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd
I don't know how you're going to be able to fasten that little "lip" of liner on the left to the top of the CBU. And since the liner is kind of thick (compared to a sheet membrane, it will create a bump, and of course thinset mortar isn't going to stick to it.
Yeah, that was a small oversight in the diagram. The intention is to put it between the ply and the CBU not over the CBU. The ply can be notched a little to account for the liner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss3964spd
Setting the glass on the slope might be a challenge for either the clips or the channel the glass will be in. The glass will be perfectly plumb but the clips/channel will be tilted.
So what slope should I aim for? I learned from this forum that all surfaces should be pitched towards the drain. Just create a bit of a shallower slope for the first two/three inches by the glass as if it was a curb that is pitched towards the drain?

Thx for the help
Unread 01-13-2022, 05:44 PM   #169
arnav

Hi,

Hopefully everyone is doing well.

I need to put down two layers of sub-floors both 3/4" BC ply (thick i know) over a small 63" x 68" area with joists 14" O.C (overkill, i know).

1. Should both sub-floor layers be perpendicular to the joists or should the 2nd layer be perpendicular to the first layer?

2. For such a small area, can i use the width of a full sheet (4') and cut to size for the reminder (14.5")?

Thx!
Unread 01-13-2022, 06:49 PM   #170
cx
Moderator emeritus

You made your joists 14" on center?

1. All layers of structural subflooring must be oriented with the face grain perpendicular to the joists.

2. If you're not considering the second layer to be structural, you could fill in with whatever you like.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2022, 07:12 PM   #171
arnav

Many thx! that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx
You made your joists 14" on center?
Yeah, it worked best given some plumbing that were in the way.

I'll post pics when the subfloor is installed this weekend to catch up the thread onto the latest progress.

Thx again
Unread 01-18-2022, 04:25 PM   #172
arnav

As promised, the next few posts are to catch up the thread onto the latest progress (and a few questions at the very end). Apologies for spamming my own thread, but I haven't posted the progress in a while.

First up is the rough-in for the tub (delta R4700-FL).
Attached Images

Unread 01-18-2022, 04:30 PM   #173
arnav

The shower valve (Delta R10000-UNBX). I had to use a few more elbows than I really wanted to since the valve had to be deeper than the face of the cinder-blocks wall when taking the thickness of the tiled wall into consideration.
Attached Images

Unread 01-18-2022, 04:34 PM   #174
arnav

The final shower drain. I put up CBU temporarily and did two tiling tests with a helper with the actual huge 2' x 4' tiles so I can get the linear drain exactly flush with the final tiled wall and ensure proper coverage.
Attached Images

Unread 01-18-2022, 04:44 PM   #175
arnav

2 x 6 joists for the tub's platform. The joists are perpendicular to the joists underneath the sub-floor (two layers of 3/4" BC ply).

As a reminder, the 2 x 6 joists while adding their own structural strength, are merely resting on top of the sub-floor which as described here is way overbuilt: https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...=117386&page=9
This is why I am assuming it is ok to notch them as much as I did. They are not suspended per se.

Not showing: A stringer and the plate for the tub rough in (waiting to be termite treated before it goes in).
Attached Images

Unread 01-18-2022, 04:50 PM   #176
arnav

Raised tub's platform subfloor layer 1 (3/4" BC Ply).

Dry fitted only. Waiting to be termite treated, plus i realized I forgot to order the tub's free standing drain..

Not showing: nail plates above the copper pipes on the left. The intention is to put the nail plates between the two sub-floor layers. I still need to see how much thickness the nail plates actually add and if it worth sending down the ply to account for it.
Attached Images

Unread 01-18-2022, 04:52 PM   #177
arnav

Raised tub's platform subfloor layer 2 (3/4" BC Ply). Also, dry fitted only.
Attached Images

Unread 01-18-2022, 05:08 PM   #178
arnav

So now for the interesting / question part. You know the shower drain pipe you saw above? It is 4" high above the sub-floor. I want to avoid having to create a 5" high pre-slope mud bed. It is whole lot of concrete to bring up 3 floors up...
I am thinking to create a 3rd (and hopefully) final structure so that the mud bed for the pre-slope start higher. Attached are dry-fitted pics of what I am planning to do.
Note, only one sub-floor layer is shown.

The structure consists of:
- 2 x 3 "joists" parallel to the sub-floor joists below
- 2 "subfloor" layers of 3/4" BC Ply

This will allow the pre-slope to start right above shower drain pipe.

It is actually two separate structures (separated by the pipe). I am thinking to fill the space around the pipe with the pre-slope mud. The pre-slope itself will be 1" at the drain. Similar to the tub's raised platform, this structure is also merely resting on the over-built sub-floor.

Do you see any issues with plan / structure?
Attached Images

Unread 01-18-2022, 05:18 PM   #179
arnav

If the 3rd structure makes sense, then my questions are:
1. You may have noticed in the pics above that the "subfloor" is ~ 1" short for the required area. The required width is 49.5" and the width of a sheet is obviously 48". If I want to have the ply grain parallel to the 2x3 joists I can't orient it length wise. I am assuming that in this case I should just use two separate ply sheets to achieve the required width.
If so, make one piece 18" for example and the other 31.5"?
Then do the same for the second subfloor layer only switch the sides where the 18" piece go and the 31.5" go? I am staring at the two pieces of ply but wasn't sure where to rip them.

2. How do you prevent the mud from falling through the 1/2" gap around the drain? low expending window foam? A rug?

Thanks for the help!
Unread 01-18-2022, 05:44 PM   #180
cx
Moderator emeritus

1. As usual, I'm confused. It appears that you've already installed a first layer of subflooring with the plywood oriented in the correct direction. This is not the actual subfloor?

In any case, you must lay all structural plywood layers with the strength axis (the face grain) perpendicular to the joists, not parallel.

Why have you left out the subfloor across the entire length of the drain line?

2. Not seeing any place with a half-inch gap around a drain pipe, but when mudding around such you would normally have your moisture barrier and expanded metal lath under there and it wouldn't really be a problem. But if you wanna fill that gap with something, there's no reason you should not.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase