Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-19-2022, 10:10 AM   #16
cx
Moderator emeritus

Greg, I don't think you'll find either the Laticrete 9235 or the Custom 9240 is recommended as the sole waterproofing layer for exterior decks over occupied space as you're recommending.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2022, 01:56 PM   #17
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Noble makes a deck material rated for use over occupied space. https://www.noblecompanyonlinestore....rack-isolation

Flashing and connection to drains will be the harder part, but critical to an overall satisfactory job.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-21-2022, 04:59 PM   #18
Kyras

Thing is, Composeal Gold IS recommended, but it failed miserably by extreme shrinkage under heat. I wouldn't trust any roll of plastic not to become brittle and shrink on a deck exposed to sun in the south, based on what I have seen in tearing decks out. While I did not install the failed products, there was nothing wrong with the way the were installed, purely a product failure.

http://sweets.construction.com/swts_...70/E219836.pdf

Seems to be conflicting info, the above says 9240 is rated for exterior decks, perhaps it is old? Other Custom info says contact customer service about decks. Hmm.
Unread 05-22-2022, 07:38 AM   #19
Kyras

Name:  IMG_0158.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  89.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0159.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  103.9 KB

Still puzzled by this. Composeal turned brittle and shrank.

Doesn't look it, but it is over backerboard, which was perfectly fine and well attached. Looked like it was installed correctly.

I would encourage a membrane embedded in plastic paint based on what I have seen. Noble is cool. Not Redguard, it is not tough enough, it tends to shred under foot.

If you keep those drains, it will pose difficulties avoiding a bird bath in the middle of the floor. At least add a center drain, consider trench drains like whatadrain. You want to attach your waterproofing to the drain. You need a Kerdi drain or similar style with the cotton candy on the edges or a plastic bonding flange. I might consider KerdiFix helpful in that attachment, depending on the drain. However you do it, the junction of drain and membrane is critical and must be thought ahead to have a proper drain for your membrane to bond to. I would still tear the wall off and ditch the drains, much more trouble free.

Last edited by Kyras; 05-22-2022 at 07:59 AM. Reason: clarity
Kyras is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase