Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-21-2022, 09:28 PM   #1
JEANMARCB

travertine grout and backer rod use

Hi,
Trying to grout new travertine coping around our pool. the travertine is 12x12x1. grout lines are approx 1/4 to 3/8 wide.
Can i use backer rod to fill 1/2 the height of the grout line and then grout over it instead of filling the full 1" heigth of the travertine ?
I know backer rod is used with caulk, but what could prevent it from beeing used with grout ?
Thanks for any help.
Unread 04-22-2022, 12:10 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jean,

I would grout it solid. Backer rod is definitely for something that's flexible.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2022, 12:20 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Note that the grout helps stabilize the whole tile installation and especially the edges to help prevent a heavy load from cracking an edge, so having the joint full is desired.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2022, 03:11 PM   #4
jerrymlr1

Hi Jean. You are talking about grouting between the coping pieces alone? The joint between the coping and whatever is on the adjoining deck needs flexible sealant. There you could use the backer rod. Like John and Jim have said tho, the coping stone needs full grout. Why are you looking to do it like this?
Unread 04-23-2022, 10:42 AM   #5
JEANMARCB

@ Jerry
My question was in reference to the grout between the tiles; i know the side that touches the deck needs a flex sealant.
Since the tile is 1" thick, i was thinking about putting a backer rod on the bottom an grout about 1/2" tall. That is what i will do on the deck side where the sealant will be on top.
So I was just wondering if there was a drawback to doing it this way on the grout sides also, instead of filling the entire 1" height.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase