Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-31-2022, 10:54 AM   #1
Ferrcad

Ferrcad - Master Bathroom Remodel

Hello all, new to the forum. I must say it has been a pleasure reading some of the wonderful responses and advise that the members have provided to the DIY community. I plan on starting very soon a remodel of our main bathroom.

Primary Goals:

New Tiled Shower to replace an existing 22 year old corner Jacuzzi Whirlpool Tub which the only person that used it the most was the dog during bathing time.

New tile flooring for whole bathroom and walk in closet.

Remove existing shower once new is functional and install a new flat bottom soaking tub for wife.

Going to be using a smart two port shower system from U by Moen. One will be the main shower head and the other will be for a hand sprayer. All connections in the wall and then in the shower will be a control panel.

A little new paint and probably will need to re-finish the ceiling since when we remove the old shower stall a wall will be removed.

Should keep me busy for a little while...

For the shower design were looking at doing a neo-angled shower in the same corner as the Jacuzzi Tub. Going this direction so we do not need to move the can lights in the ceiling. Would only need to add a new exhaust vent to the area. Two interior walls (Closet and Outside wall) will be finished tiled to the ceiling. The other two built walls will be finished with a cap height of 40". Will have custom glass for the 40" wall and then 80" x 30" door for entrance. I have supplied a CAD Drawing of my layout just to give you guys an idea.

Obviously I have read on here the multiple ways of doing pans. I'm leaning on a custom foam pan (Revolution Shower System) with a FloFX Drain, Perma Base Walls with a Kerdi Band transition from pan to walls and bench but only at base of the shower. Then adding Laticrete Hydro Ban as a finished waterproof membrane to the whole shower as an extra safety net. If you ask, yes have watch a few YouTube Videos of some installers...

I'm obviously open for suggestions to save some money or other alternatives. I'll stop for now but plan on adding and questioning as I go.

Tub rip out and some plumbing changes starting this weekend. Purchased some material to get going on the changes needed... PEX B clamp rings, transition from copper to pex, clamping tool and cutter etc..

Once again thanks for the time and wish me luck moving forward
Brian
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Shower Model - Original.pdf (4.2 KB, 72 views)

Last edited by Ferrcad; 03-31-2022 at 12:50 PM. Reason: add photo
Ferrcad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-01-2022, 06:17 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Brian, welcome aboard.

Everything you propose doing sounds fine. You won't be able to sit on your bench, though. It'll work as a foot rest and a place to put the shampoo bottle.

I would suggest going with one company. Schluter, for example sells the whole system, foam, membrane, banding, drain, etc. So do Laticrete and others.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2022, 10:48 PM   #3
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

I'm a fan of using ONE system as well. While I do absolutely have respect for Isaac Ostrom, for me personally, he causes some confusion with his switching from one product to another multiple times. Dude can tile, no doubt. He is a professional, meaning he makes money doing what he does, I do not. And, he makes some good videos, for sure.

BUT, for a homeowner trying to complete a project, I'd pic a system and stick with it. These huge corporations are in business for a reason and it's not to create leaky showers. Pick one, follow their instructions and make a great bathroom my friend.
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2022, 04:22 PM   #4
Ferrcad

Hi,

After digging into this today plans may need to change on the design since the existing main 3" DWV lline is right at the center location of my proposed drain. Could move but would be way off center of the layout . Lucky we have room to play on the design. John, I agree with using the Schulter material but their kits with linear drains are just so expense. I was able to pick up about 21' x 6'7" Kerri membrane for $200 and 96' of Kerdi ban so Hydro Ban may not happen now.

Finished up some plumbing today and a little tomorrow. Then will look at locating the drain to the "shower" design and the go from there. I agree John with the small "Bench" more of a foot rest for wife and shaving. The contractor who did the plumbing 22 yrs ago did some stupid crap getting a cold supply to the toilet. That was corrected today...Once I get the drain squared away and the design I'll be putting down new 3/4" OSB before moving onto next steps. See a couple attached pictures of the progress..

Thank Brian
Attached Images

Last edited by Ferrcad; 04-03-2022 at 05:35 AM.
Unread 04-02-2022, 11:23 PM   #5
Snets
Professional Weekend Warrior

The great thing about the Kerdi system is that it is completely flexible. You do not need to use Kerdi Board, you can use drywall and membrane over it. You do not need to use their pan, you can do a mud pan and put your drain wherever that drain wants to be - linear or regular. OR, you can go orange from top to bottom with board, curb and pan, if that fits. - This is true for other systems of which I am not as familiar.

But, to emphasize, I would stick with one system of your choice.
Snets is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2022, 05:14 PM   #6
Ferrcad

Short day but got a little accomplished. Was able to put in the access panel in our closet, receptacle and the Moen water mixer. The control panel will go in the shower at some point. Ran out of time today but will do the hot supply at some point and do the hook ups to the Moen

Thanks
Attached Images

Unread 04-04-2022, 06:39 AM   #7
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Did you include water hammer arrestors on the supply side for that electronic valve, Brian?

I installed the Kohler equivalent, and the arrestors were strongly recommended.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2022, 12:57 PM   #8
Ferrcad

Dan,

Nothing mentioned per the directions from Moen. They require the shutoffs directly near the units because there are two screens (One each - H/C) that need to be cleaned every 3-6 months. I've read the directions thoroughly and no mention of the need for Arrestors. And for shits and giggles you made me read them one more time. I decided on the shark bites off of the unit "just" in case it may ever need serviced and or replaced. I picked this up last summer during Amazon Prime days. The whole system including the battery backup was $580 delivered.

You like your Kohler system?

Thanks
Brian
Unread 04-04-2022, 02:27 PM   #9
ss3964spd

Huh, I'm a little surprised Moen didn't recommend the arrestors due to how fast the solenoids close. Kohler didn't require them, just recommend them.

The Kohler unit also has screens, and they specified stops, on the supply side for servicing. I've not cleaned the screens in the 2.5 years it has been in service. I did make sure to leave enough "slack" in the PEX lines so I could slide them up and down a bit. Since the Kohler unit doesn't allow for adjusting the output volume (nor does the Moen if I remember correctly) I added stops at the two outputs on the off chance I wanted to decrease the flow.

I do like it. In the Kohler line, mine is their "basic" (if an electronic shower valve can be called basic) system. I run it with two controllers, one inside the shower and one outside of the shower. The Moen controller has more features than mine at roughly same price point. They did offer a battery back up option but with two other showers in the house just didn't feel it was necessary.
Unread 04-08-2022, 01:57 PM   #10
Ferrcad

What is best in this scenario? I have to put a new 3x2x3 wye in on the left, street 45 - 2" then small 2" pipe to a new P-Trap. Then on the right side marked as the line with circle. Is it best to cut it tight and use a 3" Repair coupling, a lot of glue and then slide into position or 3" Fernco. No play to move left or right to get the proper coupling in the line

I'm leaning toward option A - Repair coupling. Since that is finished ceiling below and this area above will be the finished shower floor I really do not want to take a chance that the Fernco would leak. Going to try and tackle in the AM along with finishing the PEX Hot cut over.

The rest of the 1-1/2" pipe you see there is being removed. This services the toilet, old shower (will be a new tub at some point) and two sinks.

Thoughts please?
Attached Images

Last edited by Ferrcad; 04-08-2022 at 02:10 PM.
Unread 04-09-2022, 06:37 AM   #11
ss3964spd

I think either will work, Brian. A 3" shielded Fernco will have two band clamps per end so should make for a leak free connection for the duration. I had to use one for my master bath. Installed it, torqued the clamps, and then checked them a week later before final installation the subfloor. The repair coupling should also work, I've never used one. Do they reduce the ID of the 3" pipe?
Unread 04-09-2022, 08:03 AM   #12
cx
Moderator emeritus

The repair coupling doesn't reduce the pipe diameter, Dan. They're the same as a regular coupling, except without a center ridge in the ID, so they can slip all the way over one pipe end, then slide back over the other end.

I wouldn't try using one on a 3" pipe without a helper. It needs to be a very rapid process once glue is applied and works well enough on smaller pipe in my experience, but with a larger pipe a fella's gonna want more hands.

I'd go with the Fernco, too, Brian.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2022, 12:48 PM   #13
Ferrcad

Dan and CX,

Finished up some of my other plumbing needs today. CX, I do have a helper coming tomorrow and I'm going to give the repair couplers a try first. So you guys would recommend the shielded fernco over just a regular one? The shielded I've seen at Lowes are shorter in length over the standard. No worries there? I'm just very nervous doing either fernco over finished first floor ceiling and then under shower base and tile.

Leak, I'm screwed either way...
Unread 04-09-2022, 01:21 PM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

Brian, I'd recommend you contact your local code compliance official before making your decision. It's my understanding that the "Ferncos" are a mechanical fitting and not approved for use in all applications in all locations.

That said, outside compliance jurisdictions, where I've done most of my work, I would not hesitate to use a Fernco in your application. See my warranty information below.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2022, 01:34 PM   #15
Ferrcad

CX,

Quick follow-up... Would you recommend a shorter shielded or longer all rubber Fernco

Does it matter?

I just assumed the glued welded coupling would be a much better and more secured option over a screw tight band Fernco.

I'm on the outside compliance bus for this one...

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase