Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-28-2022, 10:22 AM   #1
Gardenmom

Grout and sealing question for shower stall

We will be removing our current fiberglass tub and shower unit and replacing it with a shower only. Because we are on well water, which has its own issues, in spite of various water systems, we plan to use a shower pan instead of tiles for the floor. Being new to having a tiled shower, my question is what is the best grout to use to help prevent mold and stain. And, even if the grout says it has a sealer and is mold resistant, can I still apply a sealer to it for added stain and mold resistance? The tile person I have contacted for this project is recommending laticrete permacolor select which is supposed to have a sealer and be mold resistant. While I realize no grout is truly impervious to these issues, if I can do more to help offset these problems, I am happy to add a sealer.

Over the past 10-15 year years we had a tile backsplash put in the kitchen and added a sunroom that was tiled. For both of these, I sealed the grout which was a TEC cement grout with Aqua Mix grout sealer. It took the sealer very well and has done well with resisting stains.

I very much appreciate your advice on this, thanks.
Gardenmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-28-2022, 02:17 PM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi, Got a nick name?

There are lots of good grouts, but there is only one sure way to maintain a shower and keep it looking new. Towel dry the shower after each use . . . every time, every day. I guarantee you'll not have to worry about mold.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2022, 06:27 PM   #3
Gardenmom

Thanks John. We do plan to squeegy the tile after a shower and will dry also. I had hoped an extra sealant would be beneficial too.
Gardenmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2022, 02:52 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Aqua-mix from Lowe's or Home Depot. Miricle Sealants are also good . . . Same places sell them.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2022, 08:02 AM   #5
Gardenmom

Setting medium for shower pan

We had a fiberglass tub/shower unit like the one in this picture removed (sorry it appears sideways) and are converting over to a shower only. My tile person highly recommended that the plumber set the shower pan using Structolite. From his experience, it provides a much more stable base under the shower pan without the squeaks that other mediums allow when you stand on the shower pan.

I talked with my plumber requesting they use Structolite. They said because we were going from a fiberglass unit to a shower pan, they put in support and wrap the shower pan in PVC wrap and tuck it in. I am completely unknowledgeable about such things, but it seems to me a setting base such as Structolite would provide a much more solid base for the shower pan instead of doing a PVCwrap.

Appreciate your experiences and advice. Thanks.
Attached Images

Unread 05-31-2022, 09:31 AM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Brenda, I've combined you with your initial thread for this shower so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

And from your initial thread it appears you plan to use a prefabricated shower receptor rather than a site-built tile receptor. If that's the case, I'd recommend you set that base in whatever material the manufacturer recommends, which is usually a cementitious mortar of some kind. I would not substitute a gypsum-based product such as Structolite in that application.

Do you have the receptor in hand?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2022, 07:05 AM   #7
Gardenmom

Thanks for your reply. It seems the plumbing company was confused about what we were doing, even though I had spoken to their main tech a week or two earlier about the size of the shower pan we were purchasing. For whatever reason, when I called back to schedule the install of the pan, the receptionist thought we needed a pan to be built for tiling. Fortunately, all is clear now.
Unread 06-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #8
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

In regards to your original question about grout- this is the product that you want.

https://laticrete.com/en/tile-and-st.../spectralock-1

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase