Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 03-28-2022, 03:28 PM   #1
JimQPublic

Saltillo Tile sealer for So-Cal?

Summary: What's the best solvent-based sealer for porous Saltillo tile that's available in Southern California? (Or Reno). So far it looks like Glaze 'n Seal wet-look-lacquer-green is the only solvent-based sealer available locally.

I'm a DIY'er building an exposed outdoor countertop in LA County. No frost, seldom rain, lots of sun. We will be tiling with 8x8 Saltillo in a pinwheel pattern with 4x4 Malibu reproduction accents.

We would like a sealer that brings out the variation in the clay, hopefully darkens it a little, and works well for a countertop. The advice I've seen strongly suggests pre-sealing to prevent mortar and grout staining, set dry with modified thinset, then sealing again after grouting. Solvent-based sealers appear the best but aren't very available here, other than the Glaze 'n Seal Wet Look Lacquer "Green" which is in-stock at Lowes. It's a low-VOC, CARB compliant product.

Would this product work as both the initial penetrating sealer and the top coat? With only 30 square feet to cover I'd rather only buy one gallon-sized product.

I'll be passing through Reno Nevada in a few days but the two tile stores I called don't have any other solvent-based products like Sparks Mex Seal.

We have set a few hundred square feet of tile inside but never outside or with big rustic tiles. Luckily rustic is the look we're aiming for!

Last edited by JimQPublic; 03-28-2022 at 03:34 PM.
JimQPublic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-28-2022, 04:18 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Just a good "enhancing sealer" should work....

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2022, 05:07 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

You can order the Mex Seal online at the Sparks site, Jim. Might be easier than shopping brick and mortar at random.

[Edit] Just noticed their red print saying they cannot ship to California. Imagine my surprise. Perhaps you could have it sent to Reno?

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2022, 02:39 PM   #4
JimQPublic

Thanks. I'll try the "green" Glaze 'n Seal on some practice tiles to see how it looks. We might want to mix some pigment into the 2nd coat since we like a little darker color.

The nice thing about Saltillo tiles is that they're so cheap, practice doesn't cost much. Honestly I can't see how you can pay the manufacturer, ship 5 pound tiles 1500 miles, pay the importer/distributer, and pay the retailer all for $2 to $3.
Unread 03-29-2022, 02:49 PM   #5
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jim,

Got my hands onto quite a bit of Saltillo tile back in the day. I would use something like Thompson's water seal for the first coat or two. Otherwise, that stuff will drink your top coat.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-29-2022, 03:02 PM   #6
JimQPublic

Thanks John.

Problem is that other than the few Saltillo-specific commercial sealers, there are probably hundreds of products and recipes that people have successfully and unsuccessfully used. Turps & Linseed; Kerosene and wax; Used motor oil; New motor oil; Water based sealers; Oil-based sealers; nothing; paint...

Also thanks to the moderator who moved this post from the general discussion forum to "Cleaning, Restoration, and Sealing". I had been searching in the wrong forum!

Jim
Unread 04-01-2022, 06:09 PM   #7
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Well, I don't know, but back when I was doing quite a bit of Saltillo I routinely hired a finisher to do the sealing. He used Acrylic products.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase