Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-31-2005, 01:22 PM   #1
DanF

Bathroom Tile - adequate subfloor?

I have read the basic requirements for laying ceramic on a wood subflloor but am not sure how to proceed. I intend to install ceramic in a second story bathroom. The existing subfloor consists of 1" x 6" (on the diagonal) on top of the floor joist. Then 1/2" (particle) sound board on top of the 1x6s, then 5/8" exterior ply on top of that. (a total of 2 1/8" of material on top of the joist)

My Dilemma: ??????
Will adding 1/2" concrete backer board on top be sufficient of should I add additional plywood and backer board? Should I remove the sound board and 1/2" ply and replace with a 3/4" ply and 1/2" backer board? I know I will have to cut the doors anyway) FYI - the room is long and narrow (about 5').
DanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-31-2005, 03:41 PM   #2
Rd Tile
Tile Man

What is this Particle board? are you sure it's not OSB, if trully particle board, it has to come up, then 1/2 or 3/4" plywood over the slat flooring, followed by 1/4" CBU or a membrane.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2005, 10:42 PM   #3
csquared

From your description, it sounds like an older house since it has the slat flooring. Was there vinyl on the floor originally? If so, it is common that particle board was indeed used as an underlayment. If so, it really needs to come up as RD said.

Pull up the ply and particle board, add a layer of 1/2 or 5/8" ply over the 1x6 and then use 1/4" CBU.
csquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2005, 10:49 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Dan.

What them others said.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2005, 01:10 AM   #5
typ211

3/4" sub

I found a house with 3/4" ply subfloor, in the upstars master vanity and bath, including under the shower.

Seems a little odd to me, being how EVERY floor Ive seen has 1 1/8th. I am primarily a flooring installer, including tile, and since I havent wandered into this before, what thickness of wood do I add, to use either 1/4" , or 1/2" CBU?

It really seems like just Hardibacker will not be adequate, even with proper installation..... Whatta you think??
typ211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2005, 01:24 AM   #6
dave on his knees

Send a message via Yahoo to dave on his knees
Typ 211: You found a house? Every new house I go into lately has 3/4 tongue and groove only. It really depends on the width of the floor joists what you can do next. Alot of these new houses are 19.2 or 24 each on center limits your choices. If you have 16inch centers you can ditra on top of the 3/4 without adding extra plywood. dave
dave on his knees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2005, 08:04 AM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Technically, with 3/4 plywood over 16" centers, you can CBU directly on it, too. We don't recommend it much, but it's industry-approved.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase