Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 06-14-2018, 05:30 PM   #1
rnln

Question on flooring, on cracked concrete.

Hi guys,

First I want to say thanks for your help when I did my shower. It took me couple years to finish but it is in used now, and it looks beautiful (to me )

Now, I hope you guys don't mind my new questions...
I have a room of concrete/slab and want to do flooring on it. The slab is cracked at several places. So, is it best to do wooden, laminate, or tiles?

I know that the disadvantage of wooden and laminate floor is if vapor comes up through the cracks, it is unhealthy and the floor will get damaged. With tiles, there will be big chance that the tiles will get cracked in the future. Can someone please give me some analysis of advantage/disadvantage of each type of flooring on cracked slab? Very much appreciate your time and knowledge.
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
rnln

I know that best way to repair cracked slab is to cut it open, glue in some rebars, and pour concrete ... but that is a lot of work for multiple cracks like I have now. Do you think repairing it this way actually works?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF8FQAefQvQ
Old 06-14-2018, 05:43 PM   #3
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Ronald,

Welcome back.

1- Is one side of the crack higher than the other?

2- How old is the slab?

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:53 PM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome back, Ronald.

First answer Paul's question #1.

What you show in that video is not in any way a method of concrete SOG crack repair. What it purports to show is a method of crack isolation - preventing substrate cracks from telegraphing through a ceramic tile installation - but that only works if the material is applied per the manufacturer's instructions, which is not being demonstrated in that video.

It appears that he is using Custom Building Products CBP-232, a product with which I'm not familiar. It appears to be specified for use in similar manner as their RedGard product.

These anti-fracture membranes (ANSI A118.12) can be useful if applied per manufacturer's instructions. For a seriously cracked floor, which you appear to have, I would prefer to use a sheet-type anti-fracture membrane and cover the entire floor.

But again, you first need to answer Paul's question about your cracks. None of the crack isolation products will work if there is any vertical displacement between the sides of the cracks in your concrete.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:33 PM   #5
rnln

Thanks Pauk1, Thanks CX,
Your previous opinions on my shower was very helpful. Thanks again.

As for the cracks on this slab, there is no vertical different between the cracks. I have noticed the cracks for several years and don't remember they get wider, or very little is there is any.

As for the age, I can't tell for sure, but I think it's must be around 20 years or older.

You said: "I would prefer to use a sheet-type anti-fracture membrane"
Can you please point me to a link? Hopefully with pictures and specification so I can search on? If it's convenience.
PS: I hope you don't mean the expensive kerdi schluter for floor stuff below. Hope there is similar alternative product.

Thanks again.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #6
cx
Da Home Builder

Schluter's Ditra (the "expensive kerdi schluter for floor stuff" you've depicted) is not a crack isolation product, Ronald. And when you think of a crack-isolation product as being expensive, remember to compare the cost with the cost of replacing your failed tile installation.

What I would recommend is something like Noble Company's NobleSeal CIS.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #7
rmckee84

I know products look expensive, but not nearly as expensive as a failed install...Schluter does not have a crack isolation product that I'm aware of. There are several others that do though, some use thinset to install while others are peel and stick. Nobleseal has a few different products, mapeguard is an example of a peel and stick. These products aren't cheap, but if you intend to install tile over what you have it would be wise to address the cracks. Do a Google search for "crack isolation membrane".
rmckee84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 12:11 AM   #8
rnln

Thanks CX and Jack,

Since this NobleSeal CIS crack isolation is the first product you guys recommended, I assume that it is the best for my cracked slab, but I hope you don't mind I have several more questions to make sure before I make my decision.

1- The room I plan to do is 13.5' x 27'. That would cost me around a little over $1k. Knowing it can be the best product for me, I still want to make sure if there is any other alternative products out there that can do similar job for less $? I know I know, I count every single dollar. I just want to see if there is any other choices for less, but don't want to sacrifice much of quality. If there isn't any, I will go with this NobleSeal CIS crack isolation sheet.

2- searching over several sites and some youtube video clips, I can't find how thick the sheet is. Does anyone know? What is in my mind is that when installing them, should I place them side by side or overlap some?
Old 06-17-2018, 02:21 PM   #9
rnln

CX, Jack,
Your opinions are much appreciated.
Wow, $12/foot for 6' wide, and glues too. That turn out to be almost $1,500. Do you know if there is any other alternative which is more economy that perform similar function? I did some search and found many are out there, but have no idea which is at least ok/acceptable.

How about if I do wood laminate floor. Do I have an option to eliminate this crack isolation membrane the whole floor?

Thanks again.

Last edited by rnln; 06-17-2018 at 03:47 PM.
rnln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #10
rmckee84

The entire floor doesnt have to be covered, you are only treating the cracks. I dont have the literature in front of me but I believe the crack is to be covered 1.5 times the width of the tile used on either side if the crack. Like I said I may be off a little on that but you get the idea.
rmckee84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 07:53 PM   #11
Kman

Look up Laticrete Stratamat on Amazon. It's much cheaper when you buy a full roll.

Edit: Right now it's about $1 a foot. You'll likely need a bit more than a roll (320 square feet), but you can get smaller quantities.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Last edited by Kman; 06-17-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:47 PM   #12
makethatkerdistick

I probably would treat the whole area with the anti-fracture membrane. It's always possible (likely) that new cracks will develop and might put unwanted stress on your tile installation.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #13
rnln

Thanks Kevin and Wolfgang,

Hi Kevin, I did some search and found that Laticrete Stratamat is an uncoupling product, not anti cracking not crack isolation product. I might be wrong since I am not proficient on these terminologies. Please let me know if I am.
Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #14
mark999

Ronald,
When I talked to Laticrete tech support They said tech. that it is an anti fracture membrane because it eliminates the transmission of in plane cracks up to 1/8 inch.The crack has to be the same height on both sides. If you look at the data sheet there is some limitations for commercial installations. I really like the product and you can use modified thinset to install the tile on the mat.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:52 PM   #15
cx
Da Home Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald
Hi Kevin, I did some search and found that Laticrete Stratamat is an uncoupling product, not anti cracking not crack isolation product.
Ronald, Laticrete claims the Stratamat meets the requirements of ANSI A118.12. That means it qualifies as a crack isolation product.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase