Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
SkyChef

Bathroom Redo

Thanks for all the information on the forum. It's been a great help.

I'm a fairly skilled Weekend Warrior.

At long last we're redoing the world's ugliest bathroom. Got a little push from the leaks which developed in the previous shower pan and toilet base areas.

3 story stick built Florida house. We get some vibration from the full scale model train set which runs near the back 40. Bathroom is on the 3rd floor.

Demo is done down to the studs. I'm replacing some 3/4" T&G plywood which was water damaged. Joists are 2*10, 16" OC.

Planning 1/2" CBU over the plywood. I believe this should be set in mastic and screwed (not into the joists).

1/2" CBU for the walls and shower.

16"*16" tiles, diagonal with a border for the walls and floor and less than 3" tile, probably 1", for the shower floor.

3-2"*6" for the curb. I know that's wide, but I've got a 11" set of bearing studs on one side of the shower enclosure.

I'm planning a 2' wide, 5' high glass block wall set on the curb. There will be a 2' shower entrance (no door) then the 11" mini wall.

Based on what I've read here, I'm planning to use the modified Frankengauze (HydroGard & divot drain) method for the shower.

Mud shower base (preslope only) over felt and lath.

Cost was something of a factor. I priced Kerdi, Noble and the Hydrogard.

Because of the train vibration, I was thinking of using fiberglass cloth or a Nobleseal for the drain and fiberglass joint tape for the bottom corners of the shower pan.

I think that I'll get minimal overspray from the shower, but it makes me a little nervous.

Everything else in the bathroom will get HydroGard from the floors up to about 5'.

Any feedback is welcome. Specific questions are:

I'm planning a conventional drain. If I'm after 1 1/2" mud height at the drain, is it OK to have the divot part thin before filling it?

Any advantage to using DensGard or DensShield, other than weight, over Hardi Board?

Any input on securing the CBU over the Plywood?

Thanks
Unread 01-04-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
bbcamp

What's a full scale model train? Wouldn't that just be a train?

What's the unsupported span of the joists? What kind of tiles are you installing on the bathroom floor, porcelain or stone?

1/2" backerboard is not necessary for floors, unless you are trying to build height. If you are trying to build height, I'd suggest a layer of 3/8" plywood and 1/4" backerboard instead. I'd suggest a second layer of plywood, even if you weren't trying to build height. You need a stiff subfloor, and one that hasn't been hacked up to repair damage.

I can't help on the Frankengeuze shower.

I do not think any product with a gypsum core needs to be in a shower, with the exception of a Kerdi shower. The gypsum core needs to be protected. If done properly, it would be, but there's far too much room for an accident or an overlook.

Install the CBU per the manufacturer's instructions. If you have questions about the instructions, post them here and we'll answer them. Otherwise, there is no secret method to make installing them easier or foolproof.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
SkyChef

It's only my full scale model train on the deck at cocktail hour.

10' Span and Porcelain tiles.

Good point. I'm matching a future 3/4" bamboo floor in the next room. 3'8" Ply and 1'4" backer sounds good.

I agree. At first glance, the DensGard didn't appear to be Gypsum base. On closer inspection it is. I'll go with the cement board.
Unread 01-04-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
bbcamp

I read "full scale" as "full size." Is that what you meant?
Unread 01-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #5
SkyChef

It is a full size real train which runs about 160' back of the house.

Took us about 2 nights to get used to it. we kind of like it now.

The only reason I mentioned it is there is a fair amount of vibration when the trains roll by. Soil is mostly sugar sand which transmits vibration well.
Unread 01-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #6
bbcamp

Oh. If it hasn't cracked your windows by now, it probably won't hurt your tiles.
Unread 01-04-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
Shawn Prentice

"I believe this should be set in mastic "

No mastic, use thinset.
Shawn Prentice is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase