Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-29-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
om_wahine

Finishing out Ceiling Gap

Aloha,

I'm new to this forum, but not new to tiling. I guess I'm on my 4th tile job and am doing a relatively easy project of filling in around the sink surround and above an already installed shower surround with decorative marble mosaic tile. Tile is in sheets and each tile size is 5/8" so very easy to fit.

Where the wall corners meet I've been able to use a hammer and chisel to simply split the little tiles in half to fill gaps where the wallboard bows slightly, however I didn't realize how "off" the ceiling wallboard was until I tiled up to it. Halfway across one wall the ceiling bows upwards about 1/2" and so I've got tile with 1/8" gap most of the way and then it widens and continues around the shower surround. What is the best way to finish this out to minimize the discrepancy aside from sitting for an afternoon with my hammer and chisel to cut little tiles in half to fit?

Thanks for any ideas.
Unread 09-29-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
RedRock
Granite, Quartz, and Tile Installer

Tile the ceiling - add a sheet of 1/2 inch cbu first.

Or put on a crown molding.

Unread 10-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
om_wahine

Thanks. Though I don't really want to tile the ceiling, that would work. I had a couple hours free the other day and sat down to split some of the tiles with hammer and chisel. This went so quickly before I knew it I had plenty to fill in the gap. Putting them up took more time as I had to place each little piece one by one. I was able to taper the size as the ceiling began to lower and once it's grouted and caulked it will appear even all the way around. Thanks for posting.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase