Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
miami75

Marble shower curb top removal

I have to remove and re-install a marble shower curb top to correct its slope, so that water properly drains back into the shower rather than toward the gaps in the glass shower door. The piece is about 3/4" thick, and approx. 5" x 24". Just looking for advice on how best to approach removing it so it's less likely to break - thanks....
Unread 08-12-2009, 10:11 AM   #2
Muddman
Potter, Contractor, Philosopher

Post some pictures so we can see the details. I am assuming this is in a completed shower.

In order to not break it you will have to physically separate it from the mortar. You can try taking a masonry drill bit and drilling holes along the bottom parallel to the face of the piece. Or you can try the same with an angle grinder.
If the grout joint there is really tight niether of these may be a good option as you may damage the other tile. Unless someone else knows a good trick here, you may be better off just carefully breaking it out and replacing it, so as to not create more problems.
If it were me i would probably just break it up to get it out.

www.muddmandesign.com
Muddman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Jim.

My first thought was to advise that you locate a replacement piece before you try removing what you have. Unless, of course, the shower is not in service and can sit idle while you secure such a replacement.

Depending upon how the piece was installed, I think your chances of intact removal are in the slim-to-none range. I think Gregg's last eye-dee is the best; just break it as necessary to remove it carefully enough so's not to damage any of the rest of the installation.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
ob1kanobee

Well, just so you know it has a strong chance of breaking. I would be happy if that is all that happened and the rest of the curb or tile was not dammaged (assuming there is tile already done).

If the tile comes down the walls and locks it in you are going to have a tougher time. If the sill butts up to the wall tile then you are in a little better shape.

You have to go around the sill with a razor knife or dremel to remove any caulking or grout that is there just as you have to do the same if you were to remove and replace a floor tile.

Hopefully the sill has a little bit of overhang on one side of the curb. At that point I would take a hammer and perhaps a rag and turn the hammer sideways and gently tap on the bottom of the sill all the way across back and forth till it starts to come lose (which it may not but it could).

If it doesn't overhang on either side of the curb then I would suggest a wide chisel and hammer not a narrow chisel. At least 2 to 3 inch. Again don't just concentrate on one area, move back and forth down the length of the sill to try and release it.

If you concentrate on one area, your chances of breaking increase immensely.

Sometimes it is better to just break the sill as others have said because if you fuss with it too much you stand a chance of dammaging the curb and surrounding tile. Without a picture of details it is hard to say. Like CX says, make sure you have access to replacement sill and tile (assuming this is completed project) to cover your butt.

Good Luck!

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2009, 05:46 AM   #5
miami75

thanks everyone - I'll let you know how it turns out.
Unread 08-13-2009, 05:50 AM   #6
ob1kanobee

Please do, sometimes you just get lucky with those kind of things.

I have had to do the same thin at least a dozen times with a 50% success rate I would guess.

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase