Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-17-2007, 03:44 PM   #1
Where2Start

Q's After Reading the Shower Install Info on the Forum

Hello All,

My name is Leo. Some details I have put in my profile. Nonetheless, I have been readign threads on this web site more than the Pope reads the bible. I believe my problem now, like others I have read, it having information overload. Kind of liek your first few days at a new job in training class.

Anyway. I'm doing the old Master Bath Remodel. Specifically a traditional shower. I will be working on my five postings so I can put up pictures to go with my request for feedback. I am trying to make things easy for those who would like to reply and help me out. So my first of many questions is...

Q#1) Do I post my question on the the end of a thread with a smiiliar situation, create my own original thread, or what? I have been to the forums, and liberry. =) I have found TOO much useful info.

I will bite my tongue on going into details about things I need help/advice with until I know I am posting in the right area. But to summarize...It will be about my concrete subfloor, a huge hole in it surrounding the pipe I found after lifting up my old prefab shower pan. And then to progress on building my own shower floor ect..ect..
Where2Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 07-17-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
Where2Start

2nd post working towards being able to put up pics.

BTW. I am in Az...

The hole surrounding the black plastic pipe sticking straight up from the shower floor is rectuangler, about 11" L X 18" W X about 9" deep. This hole gives me a great view into what the substrate of my shower consist of in layers...The layers are as follow with the first listed on the top, working my way down.
The top layer seems to be a paper thin layer of concrete or thinset,

right below that is about 4" of what appears to be stryafoam (is that normal?)

below that is roughly 4" of rough mix concrete (the kind with the big stones mixed in)

The bottom of the hole is also the rough mix concrete so I do not know what is below that or how much beyond the 4" I can see is made of that rough concrete. I doubt I will ever need to find out.

The pipe has nothing attached to the top of it. Apparently the pre fab shower pan I torn out just drained right into the inside of that pipe with a cover over it for hair and such...

I will be posting pics soon, but will wait unitl I know where I should be posting all of this stuff...

Thanks for all yoru knowledgable advice and humor....they both help at times like this!
Unread 07-17-2007, 04:05 PM   #3
Where2Start

Post#3 toward my five to add pics.

Please disregard my spelling...as if never taking a typing class and having a bit of dyslexia make my postings bad enough to read...some of the keys on my keyboard do not always work when I type fast.

((Kicking typo demons)) even though proper grammar/spelling seem not to be important with this crowd (my type of crowd)
Unread 07-17-2007, 04:17 PM   #4
Where2Start

O.k. something related to my postings...

Side note...the top of the black plastic pipe (I will call it ABS pipe, and it's inside diameter is 2") sticking up is about 5/16 of an inch below the current floor (not sure if it is concrete with all the styrafoam right below the surface) and amazingly enough...aside form the large hole...the entire loor is level in all directions.

Guess I'm going to start asking questions even though I said I wouldn't...

Q#1) Am I correct in thinking I will need to get some concrete mix, fill in the hole to be flush with the current floor. Let it dry, apply a slurry of thin-set, let that dry, then begin my showerbed/pan?

Q#2) As far as the drain goes. I have read the threads and such and will go with the clamp type drain assembly....but will it go directly on the protruding pipe or do I raise the pipe to above floor level? Also would step one be to attach the drain flange, THEN fill in

Q#3 & 4) I have not found many postings on specifically making the shower curb...I read it's 2x4's 1st one screwed into the floor, the top two nailed into the bottom one...but when I cut these do I put the sides flush with the walls? Do I do the walls first, then the curb, then the floor, then the drain then the pan?
Q#5) Also..are 3 2x4's standard code for most areas or can it only be 2 2x4's high for the curb?

(I know pics will help a ton and they are on their way soon!!!)
Unread 07-17-2007, 04:52 PM   #5
Where2Start

NEW PERSON SEEKING ADVICE beyond that of scouring the threads and liberry

BUMP please see title and prior posting in thie thread. =) Thanks!

Leo
Unread 07-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Leo, you can start your own thread, nothing wrong with that.

I would attach the drain to the pipe making the bottom flange a little higher than the slab height, maybe 1/4 inch. Fill the hole with dirt except for the top 4 inches, pour concrete there. A slurry of thinset on the edge of the slab would help bond the new concrete to the old. 3 -2x4's is usually enough.

Check out the"shower construction info" thread in the liberry, that will help you.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2007, 09:04 PM   #7
Where2Start

Confusion...A popular theme on these helpful forums

O.k like most new SHOWER DIY'ers....I'm confused.I have done my share of reading and searching and plowing thru the Liberry and now feel I'm at the step where i ask q's specific to what I'm confused about. I have also already viewed the "shower construction" thread several times over.

I am going with tile to thin-set to cbu to vapor barrier to studs.
I am making my own shower slope, pan, and floor....traditional I guess it's called....

Q#1) do the shower walls have to have a slope or can/should they be plum striaght?

Q#2) Regarding the CBU walls,installing liner, and making everything flush...I have been looking in the Liberry and on all the other threads. I have viewed the links as to using 2x10 around the base between the studs to use as attachment for the liner...o.k. makes sense...and in the pictures that go along with it I see the 2x10 on the bottom and the CBU not on top of, but it begins above the 2x10. How then it the tile attached to the bottom 10 inches of the shower walls? Then I also read about notching the studs to accodimate the thickness of the liner...(if I am not uing either one of John's two regular methods the Keri way or the mud wall way...)
Furthermore...I have seen other threads where no 2x10 was used...just CBU all the way to about 1/8" off the floor....how then in these pics was the liner attached? Then to add to the mix there is debate as to if CBU should be embedded into the final top floor or not (due to wicking)
I don't like to propose problems w/o trying to find a solutions...so I will make a edumacated guess as to how I should do it and can soemoen let me know if I am correct or not? O.k. here goes...
Step one......notch the studs to accomidate the thickness of the liner & folds
Step two......2x10s between &flush w/the notch in the studs,staple liner to it
Step Three...once liner is up and pan is muded,THEN install CBU to all walls of shower leaving 1/8" gap between bottom of CUB and the liner on the floor
Step Four....After liner is done, CURB is done, and walls are up with gap, then do I begin the final top floor and mud all the way against the cbu? (this seems counter productive since afte I tile, seal and grout there still can be wicking from where the top floor and CBU meet...

Is this all right or wrong and in the prober order?

I have been holding off doing anything more than the DEMO until I know totally what each step is and have all the supplies, but it seems I have been post DEMO for about a week now...and just online all day reading varying opinions.

I also posted other relative questions prior to this one at the end of another thread but am not sure they are in the right place. Any and all input.advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks...
Leo in Az
Unread 07-17-2007, 09:11 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I think you'd only get wicking in the cbu if there was standing water in the shower pan...if you build it right, there should never be any standing water there! You want the bottom of the cbu to be anchored...the only way to do that is to embed the bottom in the top layer of the pan. If you don't notch the studs, it is really hard to get the wall to be straight.

You want the walls to be plumb...no slope to the walls. If you are going to do a steam shower, you might want to slope the ceiling, otherwise you'll get cold water dripping on you from the condensation. A normal shower shouldn't get that.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2007, 09:20 PM   #9
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Leo.

I think you've got the concepts.

I would suggest you hold your CBU higher above the pan liner, though. A minimum of a quarter inch. More is fine.

And when you install your CBU, put a few dollops of thinset on the back of each one down near the bottom so there will be something to fill the gap between the CBU and the blocking behind the pan liner. When that thinset hardens it will make a solid surface when you install your final mud bed against the CBU down there.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2007, 09:21 PM   #10
Where2Start

Jad, thanks for the almost instant feedback. I think your reply set me straight. It is not a steam shower...despite me having alreading sloping ceilings.

Another questions...I am going to move the shwoer head from the wall to the ceiling...would I need CBU for the ceiling or not since if there are no leaks my only moisture concerns should be with the floor and such?

Thanks!

Leo
Unread 07-17-2007, 09:25 PM   #11
Where2Start

CX,

Thanks for the welcome...and a min of 1/4 it it. your tiip for dollpas of Thin Set on the back of the CBU where it meets the liner makes sense...consider it done.

I posted other new questions about my situation at the end of someone elses thread. should I simply move them over here?

Leo
Unread 07-17-2007, 09:59 PM   #12
Marge

Leo, welcome to the forum!

I have merged your posts from that other thread into this one so we'll have all your info together. You might want to come up with another name for your thread and if you do, just let us know and we will change it for you. You can post all your future questions about this project right here and we'll help you out.
Unread 07-17-2007, 10:22 PM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

Best at this point that you axe again any questions that you think haven't been addressed. The date/time of your other postings has pewt them in confusing order here in this thread.

Whatever you do, don't start any more threads nor post any more questions on this project on anyone else's thread and we'll get it all sorted out by and by.

Unread 07-17-2007, 10:51 PM   #14
Where2Start

Aww thanks guys...sort of feel like ma and pa put me straight. Thanks Marge for combining all my post....and I agree CX....after reading the new a "Marge" improve combo of my questions it does get confusing and repetitive. Thanks again for all the newbie help. I'm sure tomorrow it will be another new guy and I may be able to help him down the road...with the basics that is.

I will go thru and repost any Q's which have not been addressed...and we will go from there.

BTW...and K-9 related questions I can answer in return for all the great advise you all will be dolling out to me on these threads just let me know. I am an expert in anything dog related. (who would go to a tile forum for dog questions I don't know...but I live to give as well as get so the offer is there!)
Unread 07-17-2007, 11:15 PM   #15
cx
Moderator emeritus

Drop by our Mud Box, Leo. Peoples is alla time wantin' to talk about their dogs in there, seems like.

But some's talk about cats, too.

And please go to the UserCP above, find Edit Signature, and enter your first name so it will appear in each post and the old people won't forget what to call you.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase