Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-22-2006, 04:24 PM   #1
craig99

hardibacker fasteners?

I just hung my first 1/2 inch hardibacker in my shower stall. Either I read in John's book or the hardibacker brochure that I should use hot dipped galvanized 1 3/4 inch roofing nails. I can't find 1 3/4 or 2 inch hot dipped galvanized roofing nails! I can find eltro-galvanized roofing nails, but again I think I read in John's book that they (electro-galvanized roofing nails) specifically should not be used. So, I bought some Phillips (brand) cement board screws, which look like heavy duty sheetrock screws.

The problem (I think) is that on this first install, its very difficult to get the heads flush, so (finally) here is my question.

Can I use 6d 2 inch hot galvanized nails for hanging 1/2 inch hardibacker in a shower?

thanks.
craig99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-22-2006, 04:35 PM   #2
Mike2

I would advise against using small head nails. Hardi is tough counter-sinking wise Craig so my suggestions would be: 1) go to a store that sells roofing materials (not Lowes or Home Depot) but a real roofing material store or possibly a "real" hardware store and get the HDG roofing nails. Or purchase a countersink bit for the screws. That you can probably find at a big box store.

Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 05:17 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The phillips head screws are hard to seat properly. They also make square drive (McFelly?) screws that are easier to seat without messing up the head. It is easier if you have the screws that have little ridges under the head...they act like a drill bit to shave out a little to let the head become flush. Having a high torque drill is important to for a successful job. Be careful of tenting...where the screw pushes the board away from the wall. I find that if you go in reverse while pushing the screw down when this happens, you ream the hole in the Hardie out so that the threads don't catch, and you can get it to mate up properly.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
craig99

thanks Mike and Jim

c.
craig99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 06:37 PM   #5
Andrew21

Craig..

Just like everyone said..use the Hardibacker screws. I didn't like the Durock screws as the heads were stripping. The square drive with Hardibacker screws make a HELL of a difference.

Andy
Andrew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2006, 10:41 PM   #6
MudMaker
The Revolution has begun/Make America Great Again

Craig, You do want them heads flush...
Just did a shower with 1/2" Hardibacker board and used the Hardi screws. They chew into the board nicely. Yes, you need a drill with good torque and don't be afraid to get into the board.. After a couple you'll have the feel. HD has the Hardi screws in the drywall section and not in the Hardiboard/Tile section. They are around $8.00 for a box ( 200 - 250 ct.)
At the roofing place you may have to buy more nails than just enough for your one job..
Oh, make sure you drive them in straight and not on an angle (Nails or screws), as they will cause the tiles to be uneven.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase