Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-24-2005, 10:00 AM   #1
jas_il

Somewhat OT - cleaning concrete floor

I was wondering if any of you might be able to provide a comment or two here on this slightly off topic issue.

We have a small front porch (maybe 25-30 ft^2) that has a painted concrete floor. The paint is failing / chipping off, and we would like to clean the rest of the paint off of the floor so that we do not continue tracking paint chips into the house. The porch is screened in with a roof, but does get wet. There are also a few concrete steps leading to the porch that are also painted and not under the roof.

I think I have two basic questions:

1. What would be the recommended method to clean the remaining paint from the floor and steps? (chemical solvent? power wire brush? other mechanical means?)

2. Is it necessary to repaint the floor, or is it OK to leave it bare? (given that it is partially exposed to the weather). I think we would prefer to leave it bare. If it is necessary to paint it, any recommendations on technique so that it holds up well?

Thanks very much for any thoughts,

Jamie
jas_il is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-24-2005, 10:36 AM   #2
bbcamp

Hi, Jamie!

If you were certain you weren't going to tile the porch, any of your proposed methods would work. In addition, you could sand blast, or even a pressure washer might work. If you intend to tile, then don't use a solvent stripper, the residue may be a bond breaker.

Yes, you can leave the concrete un-painted.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2005, 08:20 AM   #3
jas_il

Thanks !

Thanks for the reply Bob - we will give it a shot this weekend, and see how it goes (no plans for tiling the porch).
jas_il is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase