Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-27-2005, 02:05 PM   #1
JimMann

glass shower ruins tile backing in Missouri City, TX

I've had a recurrence of a leaking glass shower with tile walls. The first time it was within the warranty of my new home. The subcontractor (Arrow Mirror & Glass) said they failed to plug the door base so rather than have water drain through the weep holes back in to the shower, it ran behind the tile and around the perimeter of the shower pan.

The problem has reoccured 1.5 years later. I'm not sure it was ever that plug that caused the problem. I've removed the glass and frames and when I took the first screw out, water poured from the screw hole above where the plug area. Other water poured from other areas as I removed glass panes. Could be more than one problem area.

First, I'd like advice on a reputable glass shower repair or installer. Got to get it right this time even if I have to replace the entire glass system. Second, I'll need a tile repair for a minor job (three to ten 12 inch tiles). Just needs to be a quality, permanent fix.

I'm in Sienna Plantation near Missouri City, TX. I've got pictures ready but can't seem to figure out how to attach

Thanks,
Jim Mann
JimMann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-27-2005, 03:12 PM   #2
flatfloor
"da Leveler"

Hi Jim, look in the FAQs for photo posting. They would be most helpful.

This is as bad as it can get, but don't count on it.

Tile Calculator
New Here? Read this!
flatfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
JimMann

Pictures Added

Adding pictures of the damage and the entire shower.

Jim
Attached Images

Unread 02-27-2005, 05:43 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Jim, hard to tell by the pichers, are the tiles stuck directly to the sheetrock?

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2005, 06:01 PM   #5
mrjetskey

I hate those showers .I have one just like it,to make long story short everyone from builder,glazier,tile,and plumber tried to fix leak.If you remove the bottom piece that goes on the curb,you will find water is running through wall or into wall from the curb channel about 2 inches inside the wall,there is a bent up metal dam in there to deflect water back into pan that is welded but with wrong metal and it rusts out in less than one year.I dis-assembled the shower ,after pulling door mount ,then curb,mount you can look down the curb into the wall and you will see the problem.We water tested the tub no leaks only when showering and water hits collector ,then runs in wall.If I had not seen this for myself I would never have belived it.Just an idea good luck! PS. you still need to pull the btm strip that is left on curb to see where it is leaking in the wall.Mine looked exactly the same.The cure was a silicone dam in channel piece in the wall.I bet this is your problem judging by the corrosion on your shower.I fixed mine 5 years ago no leaks yet.
mrjetskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2005, 06:14 PM   #6
JimMann

From the studs out is:

drywall/some kind of backer board (not dry wall or a concrete like material but layered paper fiber like)/adhesive/tile and grout

The drywall and backer board were wet and molding behind three tiles below a marble seat (hidden in picture). The board below the studs supporting the seat is a little wet. The two main walls of tile in the wide picture are only slightly wet at the bottom corner adjacent to the tiles I've removed and hopefully are OK. Last time this happened I watched them knock them out and replace them after finding nothing wrong. Probably not a big tile job. Its the glass system I want working properly.

Thanks,
Jim

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase