Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-02-2017, 07:08 PM   #1
Plinkr

Tiling on Fiberglass Shower Stall

Well, thought I would ask directly....on a limited budget and a very DIY kinda gal, want to do some bathroom remodeling. Want to remodel my showrr stall using 4x4 tiles, transitioning to pebbles in corners/shelves/pan, gradu ally decreasing pebble size closer to the drain. Obviously would sand stall for better adhesion (would of course grout well and waterproof when done applying tiles/pebbles), but my question is getting the best (waterproof) adhesion....silicone?....a glue? Also want to cover ceramic sink in the same manner, same process so same question would apply as it pertains to ceramic? THANKS! Plink
Unread 08-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #2
evan1968
Not So Senior Contributor

Hi Plink!
Does the fiberglass stall flex when you push against it or step into it? If it moves even the slightest bit you are going to have a bad time. Tile doesn't like movement.
BTW- sealing the grout and tile is not water proofing. The stall is already waterproof cause it's fiberglass.
evan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2017, 08:04 PM   #3
Plinkr

Smile ...thanks...

Hi there...thanks so much for the reply. My bad, I should have clarified, the "waterproofing" would be to prevent (as much as feasibly possible) water from getting behind the tiles/pebbles promoting lifting and/or loosening their adhesion power. As far as flexing, well...just went and checked that out...I would say about the upper quarter of the stall I really have to push on the stall wall to get flexing on the 3 sides....pan, not at all, pretty solid....
Unread 08-02-2017, 08:49 PM   #4
evan1968

Well Plink I gotta say I've never heard nor seen anyone try and tile over a fiberglass tub surround and pan. Been a member here for 10 years and this is a first for me and I have seen some really interesting tile questions No, you can't tile over carpeting. (seriously a real one)
Can't say you can't adhere tile and pebbles to fiberglass but the problem is going to be longevity. Might last 15 years or 15 seconds into the first shower.
It will kinda ruin the start of the day if you wake up, go into the shower and the pebbles and tile are in pile. In that case you aren't getting your original fiberglass shower back. Throw it out with the tile and pebbles.
Unread 08-02-2017, 08:52 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Plink.

I've never seen one of those plastic shower stalls that didn't have enough flex to eliminate a ceramic tile installation, but maybe you've got a type I've never encountered.

Only way I'd try it would be with an epoxy adhesive such as Laticrete's Latapoxy 300 or MAPEI's Kerapoxy 410.

Might be less frustration and possibly even less expensive to remove your plastic shower stall and build you a nice ceramic tiled shower from scratch.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Plinkr, sorry to be so blunt but I have never seen anyone stick tiles to a fiberglass shower and it last very long. Like Craig and Cx said, they flex too much, much more than you realize. If you're on a limited budget, save yourself from doing it twice and get the fiberglass out of there and do it the right way. I wish you luck with it though.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2017, 09:09 PM   #7
nelsonkoehn
showers & more

Google Bob Ault Silicone

He tiles fiberglass swimming pools

Where's Paul? (HoustonRemodeler) He did a library sign with that method.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8lTsnTG1Me4

tile.nkoehn.com
nelsonkoehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2017, 02:37 AM   #8
Plinkr

Wow!!

I love the replies, THANKS SO MUCH! Gotta say, sold on the video, Nelson! I was leaning toward a silicone adhesion, just makes sense! Now I really can't wait to do this project! Gotta finish backyard landscaping first! LOL

As I also plan to cover the bathroom sink in the same way, (of course as previously stated would rough up surface...) but again, adhesion factor. Ceramic isn't fiberglass, what is your opinion on using the same silicone adhesive?
Unread 08-03-2017, 03:37 AM   #9
evan1968

Let us know how it turns out Plinkr!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase