Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #1
jontillman

Balcony tile massacre

OKAY.... So, I need some advice y'all. I have a balcony that will be tiled in about 30 days after the concrete slab cures. The concrete geniuses have seemed to play a practical joke on me, and poured the ENTIRE 600ft2 area with an 1/8" per foot TOWARD the house...In the areas that don't have pitch/slope, it's perfectly level...GREAT! I have spoken with the builder, and having them back on the job site in any capacity is out of the question, including tearing it out. My plan WAS to have them pour 1" lower than grade and give myself the opportunity to use a mud bed, make my own pitch, and adjust the entire balcony structure to drain as necessary. so... now that is not an option due to height restriction at the entry doors... (seeing as how I can't build my bed thinner than 1") I need to do something else.

I am looking into grinding some of it down, but then i will still need to stay low. Has anyone used a product like Plani-patch or Lati-patch to achieve something like this before? what about thin-setting backer boards at different heights and "floating" or feathering mud around them? does anyone know of a floor leveler that can be used for outdoor use that is approved for thermal shock? If so, can I mix it thicker than the manufacturer's recommendations and screed it? This sucks!

Jon
jontillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-08-2015, 10:21 PM   #2
Kman

Is this a balcony or a patio? From your description it sounds more like a patio.

How much space do you have between the ground (current slab notwithstanding) and the threshold?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2015, 10:54 PM   #3
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Option 1- Get a few estimates to have someone grind the slab down. Give those estimates to the builder.

Option 2- Run !

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2015, 11:04 PM   #4
jontillman

yes it is a balcony. I am 16 ft off the ground. the slab is poured into a pan that is constructed if I-beams and metal plating. from the slab at the current height i have 3" to the threshold.. exactly 1 brick thickness

Jon
Unread 01-08-2015, 11:07 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, jontillman. Please put a first name in your permanent signature line for us to use.

I think Paul got the items pretty close, but maybe in the wrong order.

I think you should simply ask the GC how he intends to have the slab properly prepared for the tile installation. If he wants something done that you're willing to contract for, do that. If not, I think you'd make your best money on that job by saying "No, thank you."

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2015, 11:17 PM   #6
jontillman

Thanks cx! i really would like to find another solution if possible, or at least entertain the idea of one. the good news is that i have already laid almost 2700 ft2 of tile on this property already, and i have some time to make the builder make a move. if he has to grind it he will, but i was trying to find some other ideas, just because i feel bad for the guy... and i will not be warrantying this portion of the project seeing as how i will be unable to use the Ditra Drain system.... anything out of the box you can think of other than grinding?

Jon
Unread 01-08-2015, 11:49 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
...and i will not be warrantying this portion of the project seeing as how i will be unable to use the Ditra Drain system....
If you tile it you will be warranting it, Jon. 'Specially if the surface is not brought to the proper slope of a minimum of 1/4" per foot away from the building and you know that and you tile it anyway.

You might wanna contact the folks at Laticrete and MAPEI about those products you mentioned and perhaps others.

You intend to waterproof the substrate when it's ready?

What's under the balcony?

Unread 01-09-2015, 07:09 AM   #8
Splinter
Kitchen & Bath Remodeler Long Island

Quote:
from the slab at the current height i have 3" to the threshold.. exactly 1 brick thickness
Pay a laborer to slice 600 sqft of brick in half on a wet saw. The materials savings may offset the labor cost a little.
Unread 01-12-2015, 08:15 PM   #9
jontillman

okay, here it is... this is what i'm up against
Attached Images

Jon
Unread 01-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #10
jontillman

I have talked to several other pros who i know do awesome work, and are knowledgeable, extremely skilled, and have more years of experience than myself, and i am getting a half and half answer. there are a some that say that stacking backer board to achieve height and feathering it out to nothing with a product such as lati-patch is acceptable, and that they have done it in the past, and there are some who say absolutely not, grind it or have it ground down. also, the builder has agreed to bring in a crew for the waterproofing, which he will warranty, not me. ?????

Jon
Unread 01-12-2015, 08:35 PM   #11
cx
Moderator emeritus

And how has the GC agreed to provide the necessary slope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon
the builder has agreed to bring in a crew for the waterproofing, which he will warranty, not me.
Jon, we have had that same discussion here many, many times and the bottom line is always the same. You are expected to be the knowledgeable professional and if you tile over that deck you are acknowledging that everything under your tile is acceptable. If you should have a leak down the road and end up in a legal action, you can bet your financial statement that you'll be found to be at least partially liable.

Unread 01-12-2015, 09:05 PM   #12
jontillman

yep.... and that sucks... ok... DECISION MADE.... i will have the builder tear it out or grind it down... also, CX what do you know about Protecto wrap?

Jon
Unread 01-12-2015, 09:10 PM   #13
cx
Moderator emeritus

Very little. I know their anti-fracture membrane and know folks who have used it. About their other products I know nothing at all.

As with most products out there, type protecto into the Advanced Search feature and you'll find some discussion here.

Unread 01-12-2015, 09:17 PM   #14
jontillman

cool. thanks bubba

Jon
Unread 01-12-2015, 09:56 PM   #15
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CX
You are expected to be the knowledgeable professional and if you tile over that deck you are acknowledging that everything under your tile is acceptable. If you should have a leak down the road and end up in a legal action, you can bet your financial statement that you'll be found to be at least partially liable.
Especially if you sign some sort of document / waiver claiming the builder is responsible. Then you will have signed a legal document knowing its the wrong thing to do. That doesn't go well for you in court.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase