Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-24-2014, 11:35 AM   #1
bschwartz

Hollow sound under Kerdi drain

Last week I installed my Kerdi drain and a mud bed. It's on a slab, so I have no access from underneath. While I was working some of the mud at the back of the shower, I leaned on the drain just a little. Now that it's dry the drain sounds completely solid except for the small portion where I put my hand, maybe a 2x4 inch area. My guess is that the mud got a little more compacted there and is not quite up to the flange.

How would I fix that? Chip enough out to get in there and redo that section?

Thanks
Unread 03-24-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Bob.

Sounds like you have just a very small gap between your drain flange and your deck mud floor. Can you maybe show us a photo of what you see?

If I understand the situation at all, it might be as simple as seeing that the gap fills well when you apply thinset mortar to install your Kerdi membrane.

But I been wrong before.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 12:05 PM   #3
bschwartz

I'll take a picture of it tonight when I get home. I don't see any difference in the hollow-sounding portion than the rest of it. I can't see it move when I press down on it, but that does seem to make it sound more solid.

I thought about maybe if I were to get some of the mud out of the little trapezoid shaped holes by the spot I could get something under the drain. Not sure what that would be, though.
Unread 03-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
bschwartz

Here is a picture of my drain. The wood pieces are lying on either side of the hollow sounding area.
Attached Images

Unread 03-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #5
Obie1
Tile Contractor

Is it out toward the edge of the fabric? Or closer to the inside drain edge? I've had that happen on the inside edge, I believe from not packing my mud all the way in when floating. It didn't cause any movement so I didn't pay it much mind.

ELITE TILE WORKS
(805)845-8787
Southern California ceramic and stone tile contractor serving Santa Barbara and Ventura counties
http://www.elitetileworks.net/

Obie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Deck mud supports, but does not bond well. Did you use anything different underneath the drain assembly? The common thing is to mix in a bit more Portland cement into the mix for underneath the flange to help bond it well in place.

My take, if it does not flex, the addition of the thinset on top when installing the membrane should hold things in place. You might want to give their tech support line a call and see if they have any suggestions or worries, but I think, if it doesn't move, you'll be okay.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase