Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 06-30-2014, 10:44 PM   #31
masterclean5

For those struggling with this issue, I've done 2-3 waffle removal jobs recently and the key ingredients are a cleaner, silica sand and a 3M Aqua Pad. Use all three with a floor machine or hand machine. Silica Sand is the key ingredient from what I've found. Nano Scrub works ok. Some are harder than others. Hope this helps others out there.
RockStarStoneGrout.com
masterclean5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 04:36 PM   #32
cheapgreek

I bought some 6x6 porcelain wall tiles some years ago knowing that some day I would be replacing the bath tub and the pink plastic wall tiles. I stored the boxes in the basement and the main shut off valve was leaking on the boxes. This past month when I went to use them, they displayed kiln release marks.
What worked for me was soapy water and a brass detailing brush, such as those sold at harbor freight. The brass bristles are softer than a steel brush and the waffle marks came off with several scrub sessions.
Just a side point, the plastic tiles were installed with mastic and it held for many years, the house was built in 1960. I know many say do not use mastic in the tub area, but it is much easier to work with than thin-set.
Unread 07-11-2014, 07:09 PM   #33
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Steve, Welcome aboard.

Could be that the plastic tiles are less absorbent than ceramic tiles. I don't know. I'll tell you again, though. Don't use mastic in a shower area. It's okay on a tub splash it it's not used as a shower.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2014, 08:17 PM   #34
cheapgreek

Just curious, do you mean the tile above the bath tub when you say tub splash? I know mastic cannot be used in standing water tile applications, but what about on the three sides of the tub?
I have done several ceramic tile jobs on floors with thin set, but it seems like the mastic is easier to work with when doing walls.

Thanks.
Unread 09-09-2019, 02:28 PM   #35
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

I am going through this same problem on a Job we finished. The tiles are polished porcelain 32 x 32. I tried sulfuric acid and that helped a little. The tiles did get wet from being outside. We didn't provide the tile or stage where the tile should be stored. The grid marks are only on the perimeter.

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2019, 09:05 AM   #36
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karls tile Inc View Post
I am going through this same problem on a Job we finished. The tiles are polished porcelain 32 x 32. I tried sulfuric acid and that helped a little. The tiles did get wet from being outside. We didn't provide the tile or stage where the tile should be stored. The grid marks are only on the perimeter.
if the sulfamic acid didnt get it off its more like was mentioned by the Mapei rep and the glaze has be abraded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAPEI - Technical Service View Post
While kiln wash can definitely be deposited on the front of tiles, usually what is physically happening in transit is that the kiln wash acts like poultice and abrades the surface of the tile only where contact is made with the back of the next tile. Typically this happens on glazed porcelain where the glaze is soft (Visible Abrasion II or III) and the surface is flat. About the only thing that can be done is to use an abrasive cleaner (the Barkeeper's Friend is a good example) and try to even out the gloss across the entire piece. Before tearing out all of the tile, you may even want to try an orbital buffer or consult with a stone refinisher.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2019, 07:25 PM   #37
Karls tile Inc
Tile and stone contractor Tile setter

To update my issue. I tried Mapei epoxy grout haze remover with a white scrub pad. I let it dwell and then scrubbed the tile for 5 minutes. While it didn't remove all of the marks it somehow helped in some spots. I also tried Fila Heavy duty tile and stone cleaner and there wasn't any affect to the marks. I tried a marble honing powder in a small spot with the white scrub pad and it work somewhat.

Thanks for the tip on using Bar Keepers Friend. That will be my next product to try.

Karlstile.com
Karls tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2019, 03:36 PM   #38
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

Scrub too hard and all you'll do is screw up the polishing on the tile.
You'll see scratches all over when reflection a view from a light source.
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2021, 11:22 AM   #39
Advocate

As it is no longer available from the link in post#13, the archived article is here. Everyone should seriously consider archiving one's links in The Wayback Machine before posting them or they likely will not be available years later.

And if the marks are on polished porcelain, one would expect to have to repolish the tiles after using whatever grit it takes to remove the marks. They sell diamond hand sponges and drill pads in kits, generally in packs of seven, which range from 60 to 1500 grit for just this situation.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase