Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 04-13-2020, 11:08 PM   #556
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

...back before they added the 9/10th of a cent to the price!

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-17-2020, 10:08 PM   #557
mullet
░░░░░░░

2.56 for NON ethanol, my boat is loving it.
Unread 04-18-2020, 06:28 PM   #558
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

I wish non-ethanol was readily available where I live...the 10% stuff has about 10% less energy per gallon than the 'pure' stuff.

I'm not a big fan of using food stuff to make ethanol, at least not for stuff you can't drink! Now, if they ever get the cellulosic process to work efficiently, where they could use like the corn stalks, and grass clippings, etc., to make ethanol...I'd be all in favor! Not adverse to growing algae to make diesel, either. Maybe they could use what's left to ferment and make some ethanol...that'd be nice. We may get there some day economically, but not yet.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2020, 11:19 PM   #559
Tool Guy - Kg

Well, I’d have to travel 99 miles to get some, but gas is down to 75 cents/gallon in Frances Creek, WI!!!

Unread 04-28-2020, 05:28 AM   #560
Just In Tile LLC

I run non-ethanol in all my small engines, it makes a huge difference. Gas is still around $1.60 here.
Unread 04-28-2020, 08:36 AM   #561
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
I can say that I've never had an issue running 10%E in anything I own; lawn equipment, chain saw, snow blower, cars, bike, boat, etc but I've also never done a back-to-back comparison. I do use a stabilizer in the boat but only in the off season because of the length of time it sits.

Just filled my car yesterday, 2.47/Gal for 93.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2020, 11:50 AM   #562
Kman

This just shows the wide range of prices for fuel across the country. In my little town it's $1.17 a gallon. There's a store down the road where you can buy groceries, then show your receipt for them when you buy gas, and it's 87 cents a gallon.

I think I heard of a place just north of me in Missouri that has it for around 75 cents.

I remember filling up my 3/4 ton when gas was just over $4 a gallon. Cost me $125 one day. Now that it's so low, we can't go anywhere. Watch it climb up a dollar or more in the month after things open back up.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2020, 02:51 PM   #563
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Normally, other than the fact that there's less energy per gallon when you substitute some ethanol, you don't run into problems with using E10.

But, when you have something that doesn't have a sealed tank (all modern cars do), some of that ethanol WILL evaporate. On those things, like mowers, outboards, etc., when some ethanol evaporates, it will also pull in some outside air that will have some moisture in it. This CAN under some circumstances, do what is called phase separation where the alcohol, water, gasoline stratify. That can be a major problem. Normally, the alcohol will absorb small amounts of moisture and keep it dissolved in the fluid, and not be an issue.

For example, the airplane that I crashed had an engine that was designed for up to E10. But, the instructions said you should buy it fresh, and never leave it sit in the tank for longer than 2-weeks. Airplanes, and most small engines, will be vented to the atmosphere, so moisture and evaporation can be a real issue. Most airplane engines that use gasoline, run 100LL, which will have stabilizers and no ethanol in it. Mine could use the low lead stuff, but if you did, it required much shorter service intervals. It's nearly impossible to buy unleaded around here without it being E10, though. WHen on trips, when I could get it without, the car would get better MPG, though.

E10 was instituted when there was a fuel shortage and they wanted to stretch the supply. IMHO, using corn to make the stuff is a horrible thing...corn is particularly inefficient with regards to irrigation and fertilizer needs, and, using a foodstuff to make ethanol, except maye wiskey! seems like such a waste!

Some people I work with do small engine repair, and 99% of the problems they see are from people using E10 and then letting things sit, like in a mower, or snow blower, or outboard, where it just sits there for months if you don't run it dry before the season ends.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Unread 04-28-2020, 09:55 PM   #564
Tool Guy - Kg

The small engine problems resulting from gas sitting too long has grown burdensome for me. Where I live, the end of the lawn mowing season varies up to a couple of months and that makes it hard to always run your tanks dry before they have to sit through winter. I used to use the “Sta-bil” brand of gas stabilizer, but that has resulted in gummed up carburetors. So, instead, I try to run them dry at the end of the season.

Does anyone know if the Lucas brand of ethanol gas stabilizer is beneficial....or detrimental?

My friend that is a farmer talks about how much nutrients corn-growing takes from the soil compared to other crops. Between the potential trouble with ethanol gas and how much corn it utilizes, I hope we figure out a better method to fuel our engines.

Unread 04-28-2020, 10:29 PM   #565
cx
Moderator emeritus

I stopped running my small engines dry for storage years ago and started leaving the tanks topped off with that Sta-Bil added to the fuel. Have not had any problems with that additive that I can identify, Kurt.

Very recently (year or so) I have also experimented with Sea Foam in my little Honda 2000i that we use for long term cold camping in the motorhome. This season (about two weeks ago) it didn't wanna run at less than half choke. Didn't wanna break it down here in the field so I added the Sea Foam to three tanks of gas and it self-repaired in the middle of the third tank. Don't think it was a coincidence.

Thought the Sea Foam was advertised as a fuel stabilizer, too, but I've not tried it for that. Happy with the Sta-Bil thus far.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2020, 09:04 AM   #566
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Sea Foam is, essentially, a solvent. Used in the fuel system on occasion and at the proper ratio it probably is safe enough, but I'd not use it on a regular basis. I'd be very, very reluctant to add it to the crank case oil.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2020, 03:27 PM   #567
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Last time oil was $20/barrel I was in high school and gas was under $1. I could fill my Chevy Nova up with a $20 bill and get change back. So how come it's still well over $2 up here?

Name:  costco gas prices.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  37.8 KB
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2020, 11:01 PM   #568
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Getting the gasoline to the pump is a lot more expensive today than it was decades ago. That's one reason why it's cheaper in places like TX, LA, etc., there are refineries there, so it doesn't cost as much to get it to the retailers. Think about the cost of buying a truck, salaries, road taxes, etc...they're all higher. Rail is still one of the cheaper ways to move it, but it doesn't go anywhere near as many places today as when it did decades ago.
Unread 05-17-2020, 08:20 AM   #569
mullet
░░░░░░░

In our marine area, ethanol will absorb moisture like a sponge because of the vents used for marine applications which allows moisture into the tanks. If enough gets in over a period of time it will phase change, at this point there is nothing you can do to burn that so its pump tank time. When the phase change happens your octane drops like a rock because most of the octane rating in the fuel comes from the ethanol, so when the ethanol phase changes from absorbing all the moisture the octane plummets.

Most all of the gas stations in my area sell NON ethanol. I spent over 1,500 bucks (parts only, did it myself) fixing problem with my outboard from ethanol damage. Like the ole saying " you can pay me now or pay me later".

My 2 cents.
Unread 05-17-2020, 09:55 AM   #570
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
In our marine area,..
That sort of comment is a lot more meaningful if you have a geographic location in your User Profile, Chuck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
That's one reason why it's cheaper in places like TX, LA, etc.,
I'd buy into that, Jim, except that I regularly find lower prices in southern New Mexico than I do in south Texas. 'Specially on LP gas. Never could understand that.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase