Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-02-2008, 06:41 AM   #1
Rajanpad

DITRA Doesn't stick to Substrate

Hi Folks,

First of all, let me thank you for all the great advice I got from this forum. Thanks to you, I tiled my kitchen floor without much difficulties.

I have a problem with my living room, though. I tried to lay DITRA using modified thin-set (Versabond) on Plywood substrate but IT DIDN'T STICK!! What could I be doing wrong? The consistancy of the thin-set is pasty. Should I have made the thin-set more liquidy? I remember reading that it's better to have a runny mixture of thinset so that it can seep up through the membrane of ditra and bond.

One of my friend (over the phone) told me that the substrate might 'pine' or some other type of wood, rather than plywood. Would that make a difference?

My understanding is DITRA requires Modified thin-set for wood floors.

I'd appreciate any input.

Raj
Rajanpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-02-2008, 06:51 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Raj,

I think "runny" might be the wrong word, but the thin set definitely can't be stiff or pasty. You need enough water to allow some to go into the wood without completely drying out the mix. The mix should be very loose but still retain the ridges when troweled on.

Also, don't spread more than you can cover quickly. If you allow the surface of the thin set to begin to dry ("skin over") before you get the Ditra down you've got a problem.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 09:46 AM   #3
Rajanpad

Hi John,

Thanks for the info. I will go at it one more time tonight and with any luck I'll get it right this time.

Do you think the weather might have played a part? It was hot yesterday here in NY (high 70ยบ and the windows and the doors were open. Maybe the windflow dried out the thin-set quickly?

I'll keep you posted about my progress tonight.

Raj
Unread 06-02-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
ceramictec
Tampa Florida Tile Contractor

did you press it in with a wood float, piece of 2x4 or something to press it onto the thinset ?
..............^^--Check out our Blog--^^
Tampa, Florida installer of Schluter Kerdi/Kerdiboard waterproofed showers
Tampa, Florida installer of Laticrete HydroBan/HydroBan board waterproofed showers
ceramictec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 10:36 AM   #5
Rajanpad

Yep, I pressed it with a rubber float but no luck. I did the same thing in the kitchen and it worked but not in the living room. A real mystery for me. However, as John suggested, I'm going to make a different consistancy and see if that helps.
Unread 06-02-2008, 11:20 AM   #6
GregO

versabond

Hi Raj,

I agree that a looser mix should do the trick. Also make sure your plywood is as dustfree as possible - any dust or debris acts as a bond breaker, not allowing your mortar to adhere properly.

Good Luck! Greg
GregO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
mozilla

Talking

I use a 2 X 4 to seat the fleece backing on the thinset & like John said, make sure you don't let the thinset slake & break the jobs into sections making sure you have enough time to get to it. The consistency of thinset should be like loose peanut butter & should hold a point.

FYI- 1st. image- i used a 1/4 v notch trowel 2nd.) checked for coverage 3rd pic) break out the 2 x4
Attached Images

Unread 06-02-2008, 03:42 PM   #8
Saldibs
Tile Contractor -- Boston North Shore

Send a message via ICQ to Saldibs
If you spread to large an area with thinset, and you had the doors and windows open with a good air flow on a very warm day, your problem may have been that the thinset was allowed to "Skin Over" so when you put the ditra on top of the thinset the adhesion was impaired by the skin on the thinset.
You can only choose one!

elitetileco.com
Saldibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2008, 04:01 PM   #9
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Good pics Randy! The pic Randy posted that shows the Ditra pulled back is a good one. If you don't get that kind of coverage then you haven't done it right!

Randy - the 1/4" trowel puts a little too much thinset down, other than that looks like good consistency on the thinset.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2008, 08:43 AM   #10
Rajanpad

Great Pictures

Hi Randy,

Great Pictures. Thank you.

Folks, I think I've discovered what the problem was. The mixture was too 'thick'/dry. I re-did it yesterday with a looser consistancy and it seemed to stick well. The consistancy I found working was the kind that won't run out of the bucket when you pour, but rather 'ooze' out. When I did spread them, it looked like the consistancy on Randy's picture.

However, I'm using a 3/8" V notch trowel, as recommended by DITRA. I did the kitchen this way last week. In your opinion, is this ok? I don't want the ditra to 'unstick' in the future because the layer was too thin.

Thank you all for your great advice.

Much appreciated.

Raj
Unread 06-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

That trowel is fine.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2008, 12:43 PM   #12
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
3/8 in. V-notch is way too big for putting down Ditra. I use a 1/4 X 1/4 square notch, and I lay it at a low angle to the floor. You want enough thin set to cover the fleece, but you don't want it building up under the mat.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2008, 01:30 PM   #13
mozilla

Talking

No problem Rajanpad & thanks for the compliment jgleason. I learned all my "diy" techniques from the fine folks in this site...ditra,substrate, thinset, trowels & laying 1000' sq ft of ditra in the last 2 months is also a good teacher

BTW- Like John said, laying your trowel in a low angle helps ALOT.Dunno if your into ebay but i buy my 3M rolls for a good price compared to the local tile dealers here.
Unread 06-06-2008, 07:23 AM   #14
tiletalker
8 States

Having installed millions of square feet of Ditra since 2001, all the advice above is accurate. Skinning over of the thinset is the main culprit here. Remember one thing though, yes you want a soupy mix, and you need to roll the Ditra onto the fresh thinset fairly quickly and press into it with a wood block or 2x4, but do not expect the thinset to ooze up into the empty channels of the Ditra. Those channels are to remian empty to allow for subfloor movemtent once the tile is set. You guys are great!
tiletalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #15
Rajanpad

Thank you all for all your help, Folks.

I want to give an update. The laying of DITRA and tiles went well, thanks to all the advice I got from this forum. Miraculously, I managed to avoid most rooky mistakes (such as mixing more than I can spread before the thinset dries) though I did make some. All in all, the job turned out well.

Thanks again, Folks. I still have projects to do and I have a feeling I'll be hanging here for a long time to come.

Raj

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase