Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 06-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #16
tfreitas71

Bob, it is in the basement and is on a concrete slab.
tfreitas71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 10:08 AM   #17
bbcamp

Ok, start scrapin'.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 12:32 PM   #18
mozilla

I just finished my den last month and i also had to deal with old 9 x 9 asbestos vinyl tiles. I'll share some tips that i found to be helpful.

Use a dust mask or better yet, a respirator when scraping the tiles.
Use a 16oz. hammer to break up the tiles( This step saved me hours of labor with a scraper) Scrape the smaller bits that the hammer left.
Clean,sweep & bag as you go. Once you have a pile of tiles, straight to the trashbag & break out a shop-vac for the finer dust particles. Good luck
Attached Images

Unread 06-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #19
dgunnels
Neesie

Nice work Randy!

tfreitas71.....Do you have a real name we can call you?

Any news from the haz mat folks? TN shouldn't be too bad cost wise. If you decide to do it yourself please wear a dust mask at the least.

Denise Gunnels, Realtor

http://www.harrynorman.com/agents/17291-Denise-Gunnels
dgunnels is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2008, 01:48 PM   #20
tfreitas71

Neesie and everyone,

I called an enviromental service company in my area. The owner told me that there is no EPA regulations for residential in the state of TN. He also gave me the number to a landfil about 30 miles from here who will dispose of the tile properly for us.

Oh and you all can call me Tami.

Tami
Unread 06-25-2008, 01:49 PM   #21
tfreitas71

Randy,

Thanks for the tip!! I would have never thought to use a hammer first. Once again thank you and OH nice work!!!

Tami
Unread 07-02-2008, 07:50 AM   #22
tfreitas71

How do I get rid of dried adhesive?

OK, my husband and I are almost through tiling our downstairs basement floor. We are using 18" X 18" porcelin tile. This is the first time either him or I have ever laid tile. with that being said, as we were laying the tile, we did not think to wipe the excess adhesive off. Now it is dry and hard. I was wondering if we can use some sort of abrasive or will this rub the finish off? Here is a picture of the tile we are using - http://georgiacarpet.com/images/porc...etian-gray.jpg

Tami
Unread 07-02-2008, 01:16 PM   #23
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Hi Tami,
I merged your other thread with this new one. Now, in the previous thread it was recommended that you not use the premix but use a modified thinset, like Versabond. What did you end up using?

How much is on the surface of the tile? Post a pic or two if you can and let us know what you used to install the tiles. Hopefully it will be a decent modified thinset. Depending on how much you left on the tile you may get away with a mix of vinegar/water and a scrub brush.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2008, 01:36 PM   #24
tfreitas71

Well, I told my husband NOT to use the adhesive that I mentioned in my previous post BUT he used it anyway (due to getting a great deal on it (he got 27 gallons for $70.00)- So far, so good - It has all dried and no loose tiles. I am attaching a pic of the tile which is not complete yet. There is not much adhesive on them but enough to make it difficult to get off with just water and a sponge.
Thanks for your help!

Tami
Attached Images

Unread 07-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #25
jgleason

tsk tsk, using premix on large tiles like that is just asking for trouble! It may not end up being such a great deal after all.

So, to remove the mastic from the surface of the tile use very warm, even hot water along with a scrub brush. It should soften up. You may want to try using a razor scraper as well.

Mapei Type I premix thinset is specifically not recommended by the manufacturer for installing floor tiles larger than 6"x6".
Unread 07-02-2008, 02:07 PM   #26
tfreitas71

Joe, thanks for answering my question. Now I have one more - What could happen from using the premix except for loose tiles? I just want to know what to look out for!

Tami
Unread 07-02-2008, 02:35 PM   #27
jgleason

Hi Tami,
the main thing is that the premix will not have dried completely so the tiles will have some movement. Movement will cause your grout to crack.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase