Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #16
Mountain Tile
Pashley Tile

If you are going to replace the counter, why not put in a new dishwasher then, instal, and test it out before the new counters go in, and your good for like another 15 to 20 years.

wwwpashleytile.com
Mountain Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2008, 10:14 PM   #17
jerseymom

a solution!

Hi gentlemen, I stopped off at a cabinet gallery today and asked the owner about raising the counters. He said the far better practice is to raise the cabinets and either tile or put plywood underneath them, that these hidden plywood bases are called "sleepers," and that this is a better fix than simply raising the counter because there is no need for special trim. Everything will be hidden by that plastic base strip stuff that runs along the kick. In any event, we invited our tile guy to come by and talk to us about the situation and potential solutions, like raising the counter or raising the cabinets. To our surprise, he not only readily admitted that he had messed up, but immediately offered to buy us a $1000 ASKO dishwasher with a 32" height. We declined, because we have a one year old very nice dishwasher. What is really important to us is that we have the standard size space so we can replace dishwashers over the next 30 years. (We just totally renovated our house, new roof, new windows, siding, landscaping, hardwood floors, HVAC, etc....and also added a two story three room addition as well, so we intend to be here for many years. ) So our tile guy said he liked the cabinet gallery's solution best. He said "well, I have a cabinet guy who can raise your cabinets all up, I will tile under the dishwasher, and we can put the plywood down under the cabinets. What is important to me is that you are happy with the job." He said in retrospect he should have considered height and if it was a close call he should have told us so before the job started. We are pleased with his taking responsibility, and his willingness to do the sleepers solution, as it will preserve his beautiful job and solve our problem. When we asked what this would cost us he said no no, it was his problem and he would bear the expense. We are EXTREMELY pleased with this resolution. He will be out of pocket $300 plus his time and the extra tile but will still get paid his full fee. We sealed the deal with a couple of cold beers Thank you all so much!
jerseymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2008, 10:19 PM   #18
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

That guy sounds like a quality individual. If the fix goes off as planned, I'd keep his number and spread it around to your firends and neighbors, etc. Its not everyday you find folks that will take responsibiity like that.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 07:46 AM   #19
mozilla

Here's a couple of pics using 15/32 BC plugged plywood under the bases of my diswasher & cabinets. I think this solution works well for me since i have about 1/2 an inch of height to play with. If you choose this method i suggest using exterior grade plywood with exterior grade decking screws to attach to your substrate. Good luck

Pic1- Dry fit your dishwasher for clearance
Pic2- Check overall height top to bottom
Pic3- Final install after the countertop
Attached Images

Unread 06-11-2008, 08:00 AM   #20
rus_geek

I agree completely with Deckert. When all is said and done, word of mouth is one of the best thank-yous to give this contractor. I'm eleven months into building my own house (I'm the GC, as well as most of the subs...) and with the few contractors I have required, the ones that have done excellent work are extremely busy and are doing jobs for other friends and relatives. The others, well, they seem to have some time on their hands.

Glad you came to an amicable solution, and also glad that we can still find great real live contractors, in addition to all of the wonderfully helpful ones we find here!

-rus-
rus_geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 08:02 AM   #21
LazyPup

Send a message via Yahoo to LazyPup
Before you remove any tile check the dishwasher closely. Most dishwasher frames are undersized and they have screw down legs on all four corners to allow clearance to set them in then raise them to the finish location. It is quite possible that if those screw down legs are fully retracted you may have clearance to pull the unit.
Unread 06-11-2008, 08:58 AM   #22
Stealthfox
Flooring Contractor

yes lazy pup i was just thinking that myself...

nobody has mentioned to her that she might just need to raise the front legs of the dishwasher, they have a wide adjustable range,

in situations where i don't pull the dishwasher in kitchen jobs, i just raise the front legs and slide the new floor under the legs

as long as the front legs clear the floor, you can get the dishwasher in and out everytime

Rick Brower - Flooring Contractor
Stealthfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 09:06 AM   #23
VWRick

Like I said earlier, TILE UNDER THE CABINETS! Why use sleepers? Because it will save a couple of bucks? If you decide to change the cabinet layout in the future you will not have to redo the floor if you tile now. Come on, we are talking like 50 sq/ft of tile.
VWRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2008, 09:26 AM   #24
jerseymom

Thank you again!

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Actually, checking the legs was the first thing we did, even screwed all the way up, even cut off, they would not not clear, and that was the big issue. And he did offer to always take out and replace tile as needed for free but our worry was what if the grout color changed over time, what if he got sick or moved away, etc. This fix only costs me some time unloading my cabinets, and a few days of inconvenience while the new tile and plywood goes down and new grout is done, etc. It costs my contractor the fee charged by the cabinet friend and some time and tiles. Since this job was all on a diagonal with a lot of cuts, so it would have been a bear to re-do, plus the wetbed would have had to be smashed and re-done too. And it is an older house, so there was crowning, etc, that he was very careful to deal with. A friendship has been preserved too. And now, when someone asks me for a reference is "Yes, hire this man and you will be thrilled. He did an incredible job and he was very professional." I need not mention this issue at all, since it will be resolved. He is also getting us a new access panel for the dishwasher to replace the one he cut down without asking, he realizes that was bad move. And I will keep some tiles and the grout information too, that was a really good tip. Good luck to all of you, thanks for your kindness!
Unread 06-11-2008, 09:30 AM   #25
jerseymom

sleepers

I just saw the last post about tile, we actually did think tiling would be better, and wold have been happy to bear that extra cost, but he didn't want to do it, that part of the kitchen is a galley, and it will always have to be the same configuration of cabinets, so my tile guy thought it was a waste of money.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase