Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 04-24-2007, 08:31 AM   #31
FctryRep

Messy

Check the thickness of the mortar on the bottom of the tile, for this type of installation (concrete subfloor with a cleavage membrane) it must be at least 1 - 1/4" with a reinforcing mesh. There is also a mandatory movement joint every 24 feet of at least 1/4" width. If these two criteria have not been met, the installation does not conform to Tile Council guidelines. In wet areas or direct sunlight the movement (expansion) joint recommendation is 8 to 12 feet.

Basically there is nothing holding down your tile but the weight of the tile and the setting materials. The fact that the concrete under the tiles is completely clean of any setting material shows this pretty plainly. The hollow sounds you are hearing also suggests that other tiles are raising from the floor slightly. With nowhere for the tile to expand, when the weather gets warm the tiles will bow. I would definitely get with the builder and tell him that this is a structural flaw with the house.

Good luck!

Dan
FctryRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:51 AM   #32
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

Factory rep,
"structural flaw with the house"???
dont you mean a flaw in the tile setting job?
No need to get the gal concerned with words like that is there? I'm asking?
it seems just normal shrinkage of the cement and or temperture/humidity changes might have caused this tenting without proper joints and cabinet/wall clearance.
Elkski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 11:42 AM   #33
FctryRep

Unfortunately her warranty only covers 'structural flaws', that's what I was getting at. If it wasn't done correctly in the first place, the builder should fix it for her.
FctryRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:27 PM   #34
Carol_in_FL

Some More Comments -Questions??

Hi Guys, (This is a lot like work -- I'm the only woman around)

Well, I'm still not really sure how to help my friend. I think she was somewhat relieved that the problem wasn't caused by a leak in the plumbing that would have caused us to rip up the slab but now what to do??

I think she's leaning toward just putting the tile back and covering it with a rug. If I help her do this I have several questions to resolve first:

1. What's the easiest way to clean the thin-set off the existing 4 tiles I removed?

2. What's the best glue to glue back together the 2 tiles I broke a corner off of?

3. I think from my experience in highway design and the repairing or widening of highways it would be best to put these tiles back in the same manner as they were originally installed, that is to say with the membrane first, then the thin-set (??), then the tile, but then from what several of you had to say I should not grout the joints, but should instead caulk them(??).

So, I need to know what kind of membrane would you recommend, what kind of caulk would be appropriate so that it could be walked on and wouldn't get dirt embedded in it? , and what kind of adhesive or thin-set should I use?(These re-set tiles have to be able to "float" just like the rest of the floor, right??)

4. She probably won't do this right away, but what about my idea of the two fancy designs (say in about a 5' diameter) in the two entryways to relieve some of the stress along the longest tile runs? Would I be able to use caulk in place of grout in these fancy designs too even if they will be walked on?

Well, that's it for tonight. I have a bad sinus headache and I may not be back much online until after Monday next week as I'm in a big musical production that has rehearsals and three shows this weekend, plus I have company coming from NY --- just a little busy in our ACTIVE retirement community. You can tell me to break a leg -- just don't tell me to have a sore throat (I've got a lot of singing to do in the next few days!) Talk to you next week.

Carol
Carol_in_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:38 PM   #35
Carol_in_FL

Reply to Fctry Rep

I really don't feel well enough tonight to get my 10 year warranty info out right now and look at it, but as I remember there are a lot of "weasel words" in there that would tend to make a person think that tile problems were only covered for the first year. One other avenue my friend hasn't tried as yet is to have the "Builders Warranty" insurance company (?) send out someone to inspect her house. Maybe with the info you guys are giving me this is the next step. But, as I said, I'll have to look into this more next week. Thanks for the advice.

Carol
Carol_in_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:47 PM   #36
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Carol,

I spoke to one of your neighbors who lives in Solivita. He confirmed that a few tiling crews are installing tile over tar paper, but the majority are thinsetting directly to the slab.

Can you confirm that you have tarpaper? Tarpaper isn't a membrane. It's a poor substitute. If you are unsure of what you have, some pictures should help out.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase