Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-04-2020, 06:31 PM   #1
Paula Bradley

Sealing around window

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post although I’ve been reading your advice for years! I am not a professional tiler, but I have done maybe 10 jobs of varying complexity. This is the third shower I’ve done and the second one using Kerdi products. This glass block window is low in the shower and I want to make sure that I seal it well. There are two issues.
One is the bottom of the window where the Kerdi membrane is on top of the Kerdiboard that forms the base for the windowsill.
I adhered it to the Kerdiboard using Kerdifix but it wasn’t a complete smear of Kerdifix. As you can see it was just a zigzag. It’s also completely sealed where it meets the window and at the vertical edge of the sill. I wish it was a complete attachment to the Kerdiboard but I really don’t want to rip it off and do it over. What do you think about the way it is now?
The second question is sealing between the plastic frame of the window and the glass blocks themselves. The plastic is straight and the glass blocks are wavy. I think I’m going to have to put a bead of silicone all along here to prevent water from getting in between the blocks and the plastic. I’m not sure if that would be very easy to do and I’m not sure it would look very good either. I’m wondering if I could just very carefully cut that edge of the plastic off and then I would be sealing to the part of the glass blocks that are straight and not wavy.
Here are some photos. Thanks!!
Sorry! I don’t know why the photos were flipped sideways!
Attached Images

Unread 01-04-2020, 07:28 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Paula.

I’ve installed a ton of glass block windows, but have never encountered a plastic frame (or any frame for that matter) like I’m seeing in your pics. The perimeter of the blocks has always been bare (except for the metal or plastic tension banding pulling the blocks together). Is that plastic possibly a temporarily packaging material to help prevent damage during transport? Or is that supposed to be a permanent part of the window?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2020, 09:52 PM   #3
Paula Bradley

It came with this frame and is supposed to be installed with it in place. The window though was not specifically designed for in shower use., So in a regular application a person wouldn’t need sealing obviously. I’m tempted to go back to the manufacturer, who is local, and ask them.
Unread 01-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Paula,

Like Bubba, I've never encountered a frame on a glass block opening that was going to be tiled in. If it's possible I would eliminated it. Checking with a manufacturer is a good idea.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2020, 12:44 PM   #5
Paula Bradley

Ok. I talked with the manufacturer and he said that whole frame around the window can be removed. Good, I’ll do that (already have done it along the bottom of window)
Unread 01-12-2020, 08:07 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg

Did you remove the Kerdi at the base of the window with the zig-zag KerdiFix bead?

Unread 01-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
Paula Bradley

No, I did not remove it. But I still can since I’ve been sick and have not been able to work on it for a while????
I’m feeling it would probably be ok either way. What are your thoughts?
Unread 01-24-2020, 04:50 PM   #8
rmckee84

It really needs a full spread under it rather than a zigzag. It can be done with either thinset or kfix.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #9
Paula Bradley

Thanks, guess I’ll pull that part out and redo it. Live and learn????
Unread 01-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #10
Tool Guy - Kg

Yeah, I'd remove and get full coverage on that.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase