Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-04-2009, 07:33 AM   #1
lati_cz
michal

NOBLE shower bench

I need to build large seat in my next shower project. I noticed NOBLE makes prefab shower benches, has anyone worked with it? What do you think?

http://www.noblecompany.com/Products...9/Default.aspx
lati_cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-04-2009, 07:46 AM   #2
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

I have no personal experience with them, but I would not hesitate to use one based on Noble's reputation alone. I think a few folks around here saw them at the Coverings trade show and were left with a favorable impression of them.
Unread 06-04-2009, 08:36 AM   #3
Rob Z

Hi Michal

We have installed several of each type. Let me know what questions you might have and I'll try to help.

PS since starting with these benches, I haven't built any block and mortar benches.

PPS Daltile sells all of this stuff as well as being available online.
Unread 06-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #4
lati_cz
michal

Hi Rob,
They’re not cheap. But if I count the time for framing, waterproofing, kerdi etc. I think I’ll save $, time, wood…. Leak proof too.
Is it compatible with Kerdi? Does it sit on the sub floor or I thin set it to finished shower floor (kerdi)?

BTW. I talked to my schluter rep. yesterday, he told me they’re coming in few months with new product. No more kerdi. Just new Schluter tile boards, caulk the corners, seems, screws…. That’s it.

Thanks Michal
Unread 06-04-2009, 09:05 AM   #5
Rob Z

Michal

The solid benches can sit right down on the pan liner in a bed of mud. If you are doing a kerdi shower and have the mud floated for the floor, then you could likely sit the Noble bench down on the mud with thinset under it. We usually use medium bed material to set the bench.

Thinset is used to bond the bench to the wall, and it will work with any sort of membrane that is already on the wall.

You can cover this thing with Kerdi if you wish---thinset sticks to it well....but Idon't think you need to because the bench itself is waterproof.

We added a bench once to a shower that we had already set the tile and grouted (customer changed their mind). We bonded the bench with thinset to the tile and then caulked the perimeter with Latisil.
Unread 06-05-2009, 06:23 AM   #6
lati_cz
michal

thanks Rob,
I'll go ahead and order it. I'll post some pics later.
Michal

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase