Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 02-19-2017, 12:32 PM   #1
argile tile

diamond tile blade to sharpen carbide saw blade?

has anyone used a diamond tile blade to sharpen carbide saw blade?

worth trying? is sharp more important or accuracy of tips too fragile to just by hand push the carbide on a spinning diamond tile blade?

or no, just buy another carbide blade, not worth my time?

last night i ripped 16' of 2x4 decking and it took over an hour including down time letting the saw motor cool - two heat switch shut-off cycles incl.
Unread 02-19-2017, 12:50 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

When my carbide tipped blades need sharpening I take them to a local sharpener. No way I can imagine making my own set-up to try to accurately grind a 72 or 80-tooth blade. Nor even a 24, for that matter.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2017, 01:06 PM   #3
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

If you're adventurous, you can give it a whack, but I've heard that sharpening carbide is not easy (assuming regular equipment here, not using a tilesaw blade, mind you) and is somewhat fraught with little idiosyncrasies that cause problems. It's been said that sharpening carbide is part skill and part art.

But I think you're asking for an injury. Besides a chip of carbide in your eye, I'm worried that spinning a tilesaw blade inside the gullet of another metal blade that's being held by hand sounds like a dangerous practice...imagine the blade catching and yanking it down. Those teeth may be dull, relatively speaking...but they're enough to cut your hands bad. And I'll also say that I'm not keen on using the side of a tilesaw for grinding, either.

And yes, the side to side consistency from tip to tip (assuming an alternate top bevel blade) plays a good part of cutting performance. But if you're only ripping decking, you're probably not too concerned with scratches on the face of the cuts.

Sharpening at a local service is probably $.25 to $.40 per tooth. And a 10" rip blade with only a couple dozen teeth isn't but $15. And while there are some blades in the range of $100, the performance level is rarely justified for something like occasional ripping of 2x4 decking.

Was the decking material sopping wet pressure-treated?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2017, 04:16 PM   #4
South land Tile

Put a Freud Diablo 10" 24T on that saw and you'll be amazed at the transformation that blade makes my little dewalt tablesaw rip 2x4s like a boss.
Unread 02-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #5
argile tile

thanks. yes the pressure treated wood was moist to touch since when it came from store (i wore gloves)

thanks. i remembered the blade was expensive (closer to $100 than $50) in the 1990's. i saw a youtube video on sharpening them

i see now Hardware stores have replacements likely as good for only $25 - and i have myself a good "demolition saw" that i shouldn't bother to attempt sharpening.
Unread 02-19-2017, 04:50 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Definitely don't try to hillbilly sharpen a blade of that quality. Send that in for sharpening, as it's very likely worth the cost of re-sharpening.

How many teeth are on this blade?
Is your saw a portable little saw that weighs 20 pounds? A mid size saw? Or a big, heavy cabinet saw that weighs a few hundred pounds?

Quote:
Originally Posted by argile tile
...i have myself a good "demolition saw" that i shouldn't bother to attempt sharpening.
Are you referring to the table saw or the blade?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase