Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-21-2020, 11:37 AM   #1
MesaTileworks

Mapei Flexcolor Grout

Hi All,
The friend I'm doing a job for has chosen a Mapei Flexcolor CQ grout, which I've never worked with before. Anything I should be aware of in the application process? I've looked for threads about this product here but have not found anything comprehensive yet.

It says it does not require sealing. Is it suitable for a wet area like a shower?

I've done quite a few jobs with Laticrete Spectralock Pro grout (eventually reaching a point where I feel confident installing it and getting good results, but only after some painful experiences) so have a healthy respect for grout quirks.

Any advice based on prior experience with Flexcolor much appreciated.

Best,
Matt
MesaTileworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 10-21-2020, 12:14 PM   #2
MesaTileworks

I'm reading reviews and seeing a lot of complaints about the grout setting up too fast, being hard to clean, leaving a haze that is very difficult to remove, and scratching some tile. Might do a test in a few tiles glued to a board before I proceed...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Unread 10-21-2020, 12:21 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Matt, if you'll type flexcolor into the Advanced Search feature you'll find lots of discussion of that product, including a very long thread in the Professionals' Hangout.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #4
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

It's a good grout. You need to follow the instructions and only do small areas at a time. Good color retention, antimicrobial and holds up well. Caution is on shower floors to keep it from water flooding for at least a week, till it fully cures.

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-21-2020, 03:32 PM   #5
Jason@mapei
Jason Cantin Mapei Technical rep

Flexolcor Grout

MAPEI Flexcolor CQ is a professional-grade, ready-to-use specialty grout
for precision commercial and residential installations with porcelain, ceramic
and natural-stone tiles. MAPEI Flexcolor CQ can be used to grout interior/
exterior tile, and its dense composition helps to prevent water-based stains
by providing water repellency to the grout surface. MAPEI Flexcolor CQ
is formulated with the latest innovation in quartz aggregate, which ensures
color consistency, ease of cleanability and improved workability. In addition,
this grout can be used on sensitive tile surfaces once tested, requires no sealer
and cures naturally from evaporation of the low level of water in the formulation.

It is a little different to install and clean then traditional grouts, once installers get used to it most prefer it over other cement grouts. It is more color consistent then standard grouts is it doesn't have traditional pigments which can be washed by over watering. It is fine for traditional showers (not steam showers). Follow all instructions and you will be fine.

https://cdnmedia.mapei.com/docs/libr...rsn=306d5a75_0
Unread 10-26-2020, 07:15 AM   #6
MesaTileworks

Thanks all... Reporting back: I did a test board to make sure the grout wouldn't scratch the glaze, and it looked good, so I went ahead with the tub surround. I found it no more difficult to install than epoxy, and maybe similar in being a little stickier than cementious grout and needing to take care to get as much haze off in the initial application as possible. I did have to elbow grease some risidual haze the next day, scrubbing the surface of the tiles with a damp shop towel, but overall the end result is good.

It does seem that the agragate in the Flexcolor is larger than with Laticrete epoxy, meaning that the finished product has a "rougher" look. I could see how thier might be a danger of scratching some stone tile, but no problems there for me on this application.

Curious if anyone here feels like there are strong pros and cons with Flexcolor vs. epoxy, as on the surface at least, both offer the benefit of not needing to be sealed. Are there other reasons to choose one over another?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase