Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-17-2018, 05:37 PM   #1
rembonjaski

Filling area of missing tile

I recently had some renovation work done which included moving a wall in a bathroom. This left about 6 inches of floor with no tile. I have some extra pieces and wanted to just fill in the empty space - first removing the partial pieces. The tile was originally set in a thick layer (about 3/4") of cement directly on the planks (Jersey mud job?). What would be the best way to go about filling this void? Also, for the partial tiles that need to be replaced, can I just remove the tile and put some thinset on the remaining bed or should I cut down to the planks?

I was originally planning to remove and replace all the tile (about 50 sq ft), but just don't think I have the time to do it. I was hoping I could fill in the space quickly and easily before baby #2 comes in about a month. I also thought about regrouting everything so I almost feels like a full demo might not take much longer than the original plan.

Thanks!!
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #2
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome, Remy.

Not a Jersey Mud Job, but not in compliance with any ceramic tile industry standard, either.

You could, of course, just nail down some metal lath, cover it with 3/4" deck mud, and tile over that if you want. Chances of failure are pretty high.

If you plan to re-grout, I would personally elect to remove and replace the entire 50 square feet instead (personal preference). To do that in compliance with industry standards would require you install a minimum of nominal 1/2" exterior glue plywood over your board subfloor and then a tile installation substrate of your choice. And, as it appears your boards are not installed perpendicular to the joists, that wouldn't technically comply with the standard and I'd recommend at least nominal 5/8ths" plywood.

You would also have the option of removing the subfloor and replacing it with 3/4" plywood if height is a consideration. Even that should be doable within your allotted time frame.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

In the amount of time it takes to get those pieces cut out, you could probably have the whole floor gutted.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #4
mark999

Do not forget about the dominoe effect. Try to remove one tile and break two.Remove those two and break three more. You get the idea.

You will be surprised how fast the demo will be for that tile and mud. Then rescrew all the planks with deck screws. Then install 3/4 plywood and then a liquid anti fracture membrane like Laticrete hydroban.The membrane is not very thick(credit card) so depending on trowel size for thinset and thickness of new tile you will be very close to original floor height.

This is figureing you are not going to install some kind of natural stone.The floor should last until the Mrs.decides she wants a different color or size or pattern.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:38 PM   #5
rembonjaski

Thanks for the feedback. Not sure if you can tell from these images, but what are the chances there is metal embedded in that mud? I have a rotary hammer so I'm hoping it can pull this up pretty quickly.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase