Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 05-08-2019, 01:23 AM   #1
pman6

dampen back of ceramic tile before pressing into thinset?

I'm planning to buy some 8x24 ceramic tile to install on concrete slab.

Would it help to dampen the back of the tile with a sponge before dropping it into the thinset ?

gonna be using the cheap $6 bags of Mapei unmodified thinset.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:54 AM   #2
Humphreyp

You can wet ceramic but not porcelain. But the new and improved thinset mortars (please dont use 6$ bags......make it at least 15$) dont require it. As they are formulated to cure with the water mixed with them. No need to add more.

Sometimes its good tho to wipe any dust off the backs of some tiles.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:55 AM   #3
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

why would you say so proudly your going to use the cheap bags of thinset? was the tile and everything else free? will you be moving soon? I'm not a tile expert but This site convinced about 12 years that mortar quality matters so maybe I have never tried to work with the cheap bags. In fact i worried last night that the Mapei Kerabond T was not good enough or the wrong mud for setting my porcelain over ditra? I think it was about 15-20$ but i'm so deep in my bathroom and shower project that was is a couple more hundred bucks.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
cx
Da Home Builder

Welcome back, Paul.

Yes, you can dampen both the tile back and the concrete substrate before applying your thinset mortar. But be careful to dampen only and not wet the surfaces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
You can wet ceramic but not porcelain.
Not sure what Patric is trying to get across there. Porcelain tile is ceramic, and neither wants to be wet when installing using the thinset method.

I agree that you really don't wanna be using any five-dollar-a-bag thinset mortar for this installation. Well, unless it's for your MIL or some such.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:32 AM   #5
Humphreyp

In general, porcelain tile is harder than ceramic and offers greater design flexibility. Although both are made from clay and other naturally occurring materials fired in a kiln, the clay used to make porcelain tile is more refined and purified.

Ive always went in laymans terms: ceramic soft porcelain hard. Thus porcelain may leave a barrier of water preventing mortar from grabbing it......that is if you didnt back butter.

Your back buttering right!? ........right?!
Old 05-08-2019, 11:28 AM   #6
MAPEI - Technical Service
Company Representative

Hey Paul,

I'm not sure which of our mortars you're looking to use, but any of them in the $6 range won't be suitable for that large format tile you have there. Make sure you grab one of our large format tile mortars like Ultraflex LHT or at least Ultraflor Plus.

You don't have to wet or soak tiles, but it is a good idea to give the pieces a quick wipe with a damp grout sponge to clean the backs of dust, kiln release, etc. before installing.

http://www.mapei.com/US-EN/
MAPEI Product Tech Support Hotline 1-800-992-6273
MAPEI - Technical Service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:58 AM   #7
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

They do make additives you can use in the unmodified thinset instead of water. Is that in your plans? Regardless of the thinset, like Patrick said, skim coat the backs after you sponge them.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:25 PM   #8
pman6

These are plain ol cheap ceramic non porcelain wood look tiles they sell at lowes.

I just checked them out this past weekend, and they are not that heavy actually.
And I laid them face to face on top of each other, and amazingly, they're pretty damn flat tiles, no bowing.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CERAMICAS-T...-in/1000274191

I was planning to double trowel- 1x slab subtrate, and 1x tile backing.
I mean actual combing on the back of the tile, not just back buttering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJoPHGtukqo This video, towards the end, shows that backbuttering alone is not enough.

mapei rep- I was gonna use...

It's for my rental property, to replace the carpet, so I just need it to stick for a decade or so until I decide to rip it out.

I'm concerned versabond will be more difficult to remove when the time comes to demolish.

Davy, I never planned to use additives. I thought ansi 118.1 would be enough.

*** I got a question about LFT mortar though... do you guys still back butter with LFT mortar?
Because if LFT mortar eliminates the need to back butter, I'd go with that.

Last edited by pman6; 05-09-2019 at 12:52 AM.
pman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:23 AM   #9
Humphreyp

If you do a corner cutting install you will have a tenant complaining in a year or two. Solving it after they move in has always been cheaper. Right? Lol

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase