Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 03-25-2009, 06:47 AM   #1
kwtsat

Tumbled Travertine - Enhancing and Sealing

Hello, I have done much reading on this topic but would appreciate some unique advice for my situation.

I will be installing a 4x4 tumbled travertine backsplash in my kitchen. I will be enhancing/sealing the tile. I would like some advice regarding when to do this. Before or After grouting???? I would think it would be easier to seal both the tile and grout at once, but am concerned about the change in grout color after the application...which makes it very hard picking a grout color in the first place. (how many shades of color will the grout change after an enhancing application (on average)??)

If I apply the product before grouting, then I must seal the grout after the installation being careful to only apply it to the grout. However, won't I have to re-seal/re-enhance 3-5 years down the road...at least that is what I've been reading, and if that is the case, it will change the grout color at that time..

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
kwtsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-25-2009, 07:24 AM   #2
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

Hello Kwtsat,
Once you've enhanced the stone, you're not going to have to enhance it again. You'll be able to use just a regular penetrating sealer for maintenance and such.
I suggest that you use some scrap tile, after all of the tile is installed, and build a small mock-up using the same joint spacing. Grout half of the mock up and give it a day or two to cure, then apply the enhancing sealer to the whole thing. Now wait another day for the sealer to completely cure and grout the previously ungrouted section. This is going to give you a very clear picture of what each application method will leave you with. I know that it's a lot of waiting time, but it's important to allow the colors to develop and for the sealer to dry completely before grouting, or the results will be skewed.
My preference is to enhance the ungrouted stone and then use a regular sealer on the grouted work later.
Best of luck,
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2009, 08:20 AM   #3
kwtsat

Thanks for the thorough and quick reply Shaughnn.
It would be my preference as well to enhance-seal first and seal the grout later. That way I know what grout color I am going to get.

Thanks again
Unread 03-29-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
kwtsat

Travertine Enhancers/Sealers

I will be enhancing/sealing my travertine tiled kitchen backsplash.

Which product would you recommend? I have been looking into the Stone-Specific Stone Enhancer and Sealer from home depot. Do you have experience with this product? Would you recommend it?

Thanks in advance.
Unread 03-30-2009, 02:57 PM   #5
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I think it will work fine,just don't overapply travertine isn't very porous.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 03:37 PM   #6
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, kwtsat. Please put a first name in a permanent signature line for us to use.

I've combined your previous thread with similar questions on this project here. Please bookmark this one so folks who wanna help can see what's been previously asked and answered.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase