Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-23-2010, 08:13 AM   #1
jreau87

June's Floor Project

I know this thread is really old but I'm doing the same project only thing is that my work space is a big open one about 59.76 meters squared.
(I started 2 days ago but kinda screwed things up by mixing 2 bags but didn't move fast enough and the consistency of the compound got a little stiff when I started pouring so I ended up scrapping it off the floor to start over again.)

The pictures below should give you a better idea of what i'm working with.

Below is also a picture of the tools I'm using:
~1 5gal bucket
~1 DeWalt battery pack drill with mixer
~1 tool that looks like a sqeegee but its used for smoothing out the SLC (not sure what the German name for it is.
~I was going to use (3)1.5 liter water bottles along with (1) 1 liter bottle too but I guess I'll be off to the store to better prepare myself.

Since its only me working, should i do one bag at a time (when I did the 2 bags at a time it was pretty heavy to lift, so I ended up dragging the bucket to where I needed it). (I don't have anyone else here who can help me so please don't recommend that I get help. thank you!) I keep reading about people saying 'keeping a wet edge.' Someone please tell me what that means! And if there is anything else that I might need will someone please be kind enough to let me know. I'm kind of on a time restraint. So the sooner I get a response the sooner I can get things rolling.

Thanks!!!!
Attached Images

Unread 11-23-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Oh My! June.........

That is a large area to be covering completely by ones-own-self' with self leveling cement (SLC)...... if that is what you are attempting.

If so...... you may well need way more than one bag of product.... and some help mixing multiple bags at a time.... and applying..... and spreading.

How about primer..... does your SLS product require it?

What is on that floor now..... it looks like vinyl adhesive?

And is this a cement slab your working over?

Last edited by Dave Taylor; 11-23-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2010, 04:07 PM   #3
jreau87

Floor project

I have 23 bags (each 25Kg)

As far as a primer I used the PCI Gisogrund (you'll see a pic below)

Nothing is on the floor now except the primer (we removed the mastic or carpet glue with a floor sander so we could apply the primer to the existing concrete)

Uhhh I think it is a concrete slab
Attached Images

Unread 11-23-2010, 04:51 PM   #4
bbcamp

A wet edge is where at the edge of one pour, it remains workable so the next pour can bond with it. Trouble is that SLC starts to cure very quickly, sooner than you can make another batch. You'll need to have 3 batches going, one mixed and ready, the next in the middle of the mixing stage, and the third beginning the mixing stage. That's why you need help. This is not a one person project.

With 23 bags of SLC to mix, your poor drill won't make it out alive. Something like a 1/2" corded drill would be more appropriate.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
jreau87

Idea!

Thanks bbcamp. I understand what keeping a wet edge means now and I understand why I should have at least 2 people to help me. But please don't judge me for this idea. I'm just trying to think of a way that I could do this myself (It's really hard to rely on others especially when you're in a foreign country).

What if I used several pieces of 2x4 plywood to section off areas that are more workable; pretty much taking that big area and making multiple small workable areas.

Does that seem like a good idea, could something go wrong? thoughts and concerns would be greatly appreciated.

I would post pictures of what I mean but my camera died and I can't find the charger. sorry.
Unread 11-24-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
Dave Taylor
Retired Moderator - Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Quick question for you June.............

Is applying SLC to this floor really necessary and.... if so.... exactly why?

What kind of finished covering are you planning to apply?

Thanks
Dave Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
jreau87

Why I am doing this

First of all I'd like to start off with some good news! i found 2 (maybe 3) extra pairs of helping hands. So I hope everything goes well.

Now as to why I need to apply the self leveling compound...well there was a huge crack in the middle of the floor and it created a small slope and now the floor is uneven. It is also uneven near the edges (where the wall meets the floor), and in the Master bathroom. So, I need my floors to be even. (before anyone asks...YES...I did get all of the cracks in the floor fixed before i decided to put down a layer of SLC.)

I will be finishing the floor with a White epoxy coating. this will be done throughout the whole apartment. Its going to look beautiful! I'm excited!!!!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase