Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-12-2008, 06:35 AM   #1
PapaGCubed

Anxiety over water test

OK so I did my watertest of my kerdi. I wish I wasn't such a neurotic freak, but now I am concerned if I did it right.

I pluged the drain. Then put a little bit of water in the drain to make sure the plug was water tight. after a 1/2 hour to ensure that the plug was secure I filled the floor with water. Here is my concern. I filled it to the point where the water went up the walls about a 1/2 inch. In hindsight (which I always do, I can't leave well enough alone), perhaps I should have filled it higher? Understand that when I installed the kerdi I did it like in the video. Kerdi band on the joints. Then walls, then floor. So when I put the water in to test the floor and wall joints were covered with water. the water didn't move. I tested it by placing a measuring stick down into the center of the drain. The water never moved below the line.

Can I rest now. Please someone give me an "amen."

Part of me can't believe that I did it right.

Finally, I have to ask if that is the most extreme situation that the kerdi membrane will ever be under. I mean once the shower is tiled, how much water actually seeps through? I can't imagine that there will ever be that much water actually on the kerdi membrane ever again. At least as long as the tile stays on the walls and floors.

Thanks if advance for anyone who can ease my mind.
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-12-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Amen, Mike! You're good to go.

Water does get behind tiles and grout, but your water test was far more severe - and you passed.
Unread 05-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
PapaGCubed

Thanks Dan. Is funny how the mind can drive you crazy. My wife is so laid back. She kept reassuring me that it was fine. All I kept thinking after halfway into the test was. Damn I should have put more water in. Ok. Now I can relax and start eating again.
Unread 05-12-2008, 07:16 AM   #4
Fairview

I'm considering a Kerdi shower installation in the future, and am just curious why the anxiety over whether the test was conducted properly? It sounds like you could re-do the test if you didn't put enough water in or too much.

I can appreciate it if you had gone ahead and tiled, but it sounds like you could do test after test after test, no?
Unread 05-12-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
PapaGCubed

I could but under time constraints. if I absolutely had to I guess I would. but I am just looking for some reassurance that I don't have to.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase