Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-22-2003, 11:36 AM   #1
nwb01

Water test

Poured water on my concrete slab that I am getting ready to tile. Water took about 20 minutes to soak into slab. Is this a pass or fail of the test ??? If it is a fail, now what do I do ?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-22-2003, 11:53 AM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Give us a first name to hassle you by. Probably should register, too, looks like you might be with us for a while.

More details, please. Old concrete, new concrete? Something else has/has not been installed on the concrete in past? If new concrete, was a "curing agent" used after it was poured? Does it have a very slick finsih? How much water we talking about here, like, did you pour several quarts over a large area and wait for it all to disperse, or just a little water and it beaded up but finally seemed to soak in? This is Slab on Grade, or a basement (don't know where you live, so can't guess), interior or exterior concrete?

And anything else we should know. We're very inquisitive hereabouts.
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2003, 12:28 PM   #3
nwb01

I live in NW ohio, house is a slab, this part of the slab is about 20 years old. Carpet was in this bathroom previously, the finish on the slab is fairly smooth, it doesnt feel like it was coated with anything but I am not sure.

I poured about 1/2 cup of water on floor and yes it finally soaked in. It didnt really bead up just kinda sat there on top of the slab.

When you say beaded up I think of water on a waxed car and it didn't do that at all.
Unread 03-22-2003, 04:23 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Might want to wait for some of the big-time tile guys, but it sounds quite suitable for tile to me.

Got any visable cracks?

Did you check it for flat? Like with a long straightedge.

What size tiles do you plan to use?

How come you won't tell us your name? We won't tell. Promise. Just make one up - something more personable than "Guest", and easier to pronounce than nwb01, eh?
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2003, 06:07 PM   #5
Rob Z

Hi nwb01

Judgement call on that one...usually water will soak in faster than that.

One solution would be to rent a bush hammer bit on an electric jackhammer and roughen the upper 1/8-1/4'' of the surface ; then resurface with a SLC.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase