Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 07-04-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
JLeonard181

Floridatile - Berkshire Maple HDP Problems

I am really hoping someone can give me some advice. I am having issues with some Berkshire Maple HDP manafactured by Floridatile out of Kentucky. Here are my issues.

About 800 square feet of tile has been placed throughout my entire first level of my home. The tile is being placed over a slab. I have been at work for the first 3 days of tile installation. When I went home from work to check the progress I noticed that about 70 percent of the tiles layed have a cloudy/matte appearance and the remaining 30 percent have a more crisp sharp colorful appearance similar to the sample that we originally used to pick out our tile.

Our Grout has not been put down so grout haze is not an issue. These tiles look like this right out of the box. I tried wiping them down with water and a rag to see if the haze would clear up to no avail. Then I tried some marine carnuba wax just for the heck of it. That didn't do anything either. It is extremely noticeable and my wife is now on suicide watch (just kidding but kind of) I'm not doing too good myself. I have checked the batch codes on the boxes and they all match up so they were all made apparently at the same time. I have no idea what to do. Does anyone have any advice for me. I am reluctant at this time to have the installer return to finish laying the remaining tile and grout as we may have to tear up the floor.

Thanks in advance! John from San Ramon, Ca.
Unread 07-05-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi John,

A picture or two would help. It's hard to advise you so far into the project. Are the different shades of tile well dispersed throughout the installation? I mean, there is no line of demarcation, is there?
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #3
JLeonard181

Detailed pictures of tile. Manufacturer defect

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 2044
Size:  29.5 KB
Unread 07-07-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Tesara

John, that hazy looking tile definitely looks defective. Chisel it out and replace it. Call the manufacturer and send the picture and demand replacement tiles for defective pieces. Try to find the replacement tile before they are no longer available.
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
tileguynky
Tile Contractor Central Ky Area

Before you do anything, I have a question. Have you called Florida Tile?

How much is installed? Don't install anymore until you contact FT. There is a disclaimer on the box (almost all manufacturers have it) that says once installed its yours. I suggest you call FT customer service first thing tomorrow morning and get started on a resolution. They have reps all over the county and I'm sure they will be interested in seeing what is going on.

No worries about this products being discontinued, at least not until Ceramictec has the state of Florida covered.

Florida Tile contact info
tileguynky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
JLeonard181

Solution

Thanks for the ideas. I was able to get 12 more boxes from the local FT dealer. It does appear there was an issue with the manafacturing process. Now I just need to get them on the ground after busting out the 93 bad ones.
Unread 11-23-2014, 12:07 PM   #7
tpirovol

I know this thread is old but do you know what batch yours was? I have one tile on my entire basement like this and it if it was not in the middle I would not care. Called the tile store and they don't have any more boxes with the same lot#. I got another Lot but it does not match.

Thanks Terry
Unread 11-23-2014, 12:55 PM   #8
Kman

Terry, I noticed that the original poster hasn't been here since this thread expired. You might have better luck sending them an email through their profile, if one is available. Outside of that, I would imagine Florida Tile is your best bet.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase