Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Old 01-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #16
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

there is a post on JB forums from someone saying you dont need waterproofing ....seems he was wrong
Old 01-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #17
Radas
Tile Newbie

Just noticed that the OP has been here in the past and not taken advice regarding his tile on drywall shower assembly.

I think the grout falling out and tiles 'flexing' back in 2010 was a clear indication that there was a problem with the installation. I am surprised that the shower has lasted this long and not fallen through what's left of the subfloor.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

..a new excuse to hoard tools!
Radas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:37 PM   #18
jlbos83
Really Cool Weekend Warrior

There's only one answer to this shower. And you already know what it is. As far as matching the tile, don't try! Put and accent piece or some kind of trim in, and make it look like a feature. Better than rotting the house out.

It's a DRY heat!
jlbos83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:43 PM   #19
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
there is a post on JB forums from someone saying you dont need waterproofing ....seems he was wrong
Technically, the only part that needs to be waterPROOF is the pan...the rest needs to be built so moisture won't cause damage...drywall, unprotected, doesn't cut it.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:23 AM   #20
groomerz

So this would be a great example of what happens when you put tile over drywall in a shower without red guard, ditra. I wonder if the drywall had no gap and was resting on pan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2019, 01:29 AM   #21
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn
So this would be a great example of what happens when you put tile over drywall in a shower without red guard, ditra. I wonder if the drywall had no gap and was resting on pan
There are only two companies that have tested their waterproofing for use over drywall and both of them are sheet membranes, not liquid. RedGard can be used over cbu, but not drywall.

Ditra is not designed for use in a shower, and shouldn't be used there...the pockets could collect water and not drain. Kerdi is needed there.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:33 PM   #22
JITILE

Everyone here is right about the repair only being temporary but if you remove the tile so that all the damaged drywall is gone, and carefully soak or sand off the backs of the tiles to clean them I would thoroughly dry out the area behind the tile replace the drywall with cement board, Force some exterior grade construction adhesive between the cement board and clean cut drywall , then carefully replace the tile with thinset..... realistically if the tile has been there for some time before this happened you should actually be able to get at least that much more time out of it with doing a good repair, even though the installation wasn't originally done properly
Old 01-19-2019, 07:35 PM   #23
JITILE

And also rolling on some redgard or hydro ban wouldn't be a bad idea either
Old 01-19-2019, 08:19 PM   #24
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

You could use KerdiBoard or WediBoard instead of cbu and have waterPROOF walls rather than water resistant ones.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase